Putting More Tropicality into Your Locality Zone 6b Style

Re: Putting More Tropicality into Your Locality Zone 6b Styl

Melt In The Sun ...
Everything in the desert bed is hardy temp wise . The problem here is moisture . So if it is going to be a major rain or snow event followed by extreme cold I cover some things (mainly agaves) to keep the moisture out .
There are many yucca and cactus varieties that are very hardy when moisture is not present . Check out www.coldhardycactus.com ...

That is a very beautiful tropical paradise in the midwest Tikifarmer. It seems we share a common passion. I have several tropical plants inlcuding Musa Basjoo, Musa Thai Black and other bananas as well as Canna Lilies, California Fan Palms, and a Windmill Palm here in Cincinnati (zone 6A).

I have been looking at building a tiki bar. Yours looks awesome and I was curious as to the details of it. Did you puchase it and put it together or build it by hand? Where did you get your materials from? etc.

I would appreciate any kind of info you can offer.

Thanks!! Keep up the good work.

CincyPool , it was all built by hand . 6x6 posts, 2x4 knee walls, 2x6 rafters all pressure treated . I got the bamboo and thatch from Calibamboo. The reed fencing that is on top of the roof is from HD and it is stapled to PT lattice that is screwed to the rafters . The bar top is made of biscuit joined 2x6 pine . It was stained and has 3 coats of spar urethane on it .After 3 summers it is still looking pretty good. The tiki bar is not waterproof it is a leaky tiki ...
FWIW I know of another guy out Cincy way that posts on the midwest palm forum occasionally. He has a pretty good size windmill and pindo among other things .I am not looking forward to whats coming up in November but, it has been fun to look at palms every day since March. You should post some pics ...

DIYliner, I am "tikifarmer" on bananas.org . I don't post a whole lot but, read occasionally . I have a friend that sells palms,bananas,etc. in MA. Not sure what town but, I think it is not too far from the coast . He has quite a collection around his house ...

Old thread.... New post

tikifarmer,

I just got some Christmas Palms (Adonidia merrillii) and was wondering if you have had any? Looking for some winter guidance. Not sure if these are prunable for wintering. I suspect not, cut looking to see if you had any tips. I am in Williamsport PA, so very close by.

Thanks,

Ted

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.