FC loss durring hot days

Oct 19, 2010
I'm here in AZ (hot 110F), right now my CYA is about 35-40. Last night I put in bleach to the equivalent of 4ppm (I tested the levels). After the pool sits during the day I'm down to .5ppm FC. I have not seen any algae in my test at all. Should I raise my CYA? I feel like Im dumping in lots of bleach daily bi daily...

11500 gallon pool

all levels are good right about now.

Well except my Calcium is high but that another topic...

You've got it tough down there. Three thoughts:
1. Cover the pool when you are not using it during the day with an uv opaque cover.
2. Go to 8 ppm in the evening and check it in the morning to make sure it is above 7 ppm(used poolcalculator.com, 40 ppm CYA to get this value which is the top of the normal range). That should keep you higher, but may not be enough.
3. Raise your CYA level to 50 ppm, and put your FC at 9 in the evenings and make sure it is at least above 8 ppm in the morning (again calculated using poolcalculator, 50 ppm CYA).

Keep an eye on your pool...you might want to do a OCLT: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/overnight_fc_test just in case you have organics gobbling up your FC without you knowing it :wink:

the taxidermist said:
Well before I went to bed I was 8ppm on the nose (pool ran for about 4 hours after adding the bleach), woke up, tested a lil later than I would have liked, 830am... 3.5ppm
:-D The good news is, you found out why your chlorine is dropping fast. :( The bad news is, you most likely have organisms (algae, etc.) eating it. It is time for the shocking process: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool, remember it is a process and can take some time.

Let us know if you have any questions!

Yes. If your CCs outgas quickly enough (relative to the rate your FC oxidizes organics and produces them) you can have low CC even with an active bloom. And a low- to moderate-level bloom can frequently not be evident to the naked eye.

On the bright side, catching a bloom before it becomes visible means that there's less algae and it accordingly takes less bleach to kill it off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.