DIg starts tomorrow! Yikes!

Good luck and congrats on the project start.

I too am in a similar boat, where we might start the dig next week, and have NO CLUE what to expect, other than I hope there are no major setbacks and issues :)

Keep us posted on your progress.

Enjoy the ride! :) Expect the unexpected. Ask 1000s of questions. Double check what the pool contractor tells you since they make can make mistakes too. Get to know the subs and talk with excavator and shell contractors to double verify location, size, and elevations. Mistakes here have domino-like side effects. Get to know your plumber and don't let him leave without fully understanding, or at least documenting, your plumbing design. Take lots of pictures. Prepare for ups and downs and just enjoy the finished product.

Good luck!

Congratulations!

I'm on the down hill side of my build.........plaster goes on tomorrow. As mentioned, don't be shy with the questions or the subcontractors. If you see something out of place, say something to your PB. This site is also a great source of information with a large group of pool owners who are more than willing to answer questions.

The one bit of advice I would give you is to water the gunite shell several times each day after the installation. With the extremely dry, hot weather we have been experiencing, concrete can develop small (hairline) cracks that are merely cosmetic in nature, but I'm a stickler for details. I'm sure your PB will give you some instructions on this, but I watered at least 3 times a day for 5 days.

Good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What is the bucket test?

I believe they mean a leak test. Fill a bucket, set it in the pool on a step, wait a day, if the water in the pool drops faster than the water in the bucket you have a leak and they need to fix it before you pay the final check.

On the trash and mess issue, I found if I got a bunch of 5 gallon buckets and labelled them trash, and put out a couple of big cans with contractor duty liners in them, everyone uses them! Helps keep the mess to a minimum and sets a tone of professionalism on the job. Makes it easy to clean up too when there are plenty of receptacles around.

I actually had one guy thank me for putting them out.

Lershac said:
When I have subs coming I also put out an ice chest with half water and half Gatorade in bottles labelled "contractor/subs drinks" and it really makes em friendly. Especially with this hot summer.

This is a great idea that does not cost much and really makes a difference from a friendliness perspective. Will keep this in mind when I start mine.

We put out water, and other drinks + bought lunch (pizza / subs / McD's), even made a birthday cake for one of the guys on the dig crew. We typically only had 2 or 3 guys at a time, so all told, maybe $100 or so. The guys who dug for the shell sent us a handwritten thank you note.

Well worth it as far as I can see. In fact, we treat all trades who do extensive work at our house like this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.