Waaay NW MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Show me your winter pool pictures (REAL winter - the kind with snow and ice, not temparate zones!) I want to guess whats under the snow and ice. lol. I'll get my pics on here tomorrow.

dog006.jpg

Pool is on the left! :eek:

We just had that blizzard Friday/yesterday that dropped about 2-3 inches and probably about 7" since Jan 1. I am only about 130 -140 miles south of you but some of these storms have dropped more snow here.

Actually, going south from here, Grand Forks typically gets 50% more snow that us, and Fargo typically twice as much as us, so it's not surprising you got more snow that us from the last 2 blizzards. I think it's your closer proximity to the Gulf that draws more moisture. The winter of 96/97 was a heavy show year here, and even more so in Minnesota. I remember pictures from that winter with the snow drifts to the roof peaks, and tunnels in the snow dug to front doors in NW Minnesota. By the end of March the snow was mostly melted, and then the Colorado low came through first weekend of April and dumped again nearly as much snow as the whole winter. The Flood of the Century soon followed. That was quite the year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would post a pic of my pool in winter but you might all get angry with me since I will be in the water! (I will admit that I have the heater running!) Glad I live in Florida!

waterbear said:
I would post a pic of my pool in winter but you might all get angry with me since I will be in the water! (I will admit that I have the heater running!) Glad I live in Florida!

except that we have a cover on. its been on average about 80 here and i wish i had kept it open all year and bought a heater . we could be swimming right now. :cry:

but tommarrow gunna get to a brisk 60.

waterbear said:

I need a new heater this year. The old Jacuzzi gas heater died last August and can't be repaired to an efficient operating state. $2200 or so installed for a new gas heater. Thought about solar, but to do a setup that would work for me would require at least the same outlay and wouldn't do me any good on the day I could most use it. Combine that with east/west facing roof and prevailing westerly winds and an open western exposure and solar just wouldn't be efficient for me.

I hope my liner lasts another year. I'll have to think about changing the coping and redoing the deck when I do. I have a small pressure side leak which costs about as much in extra water as the lowest cost of pressure testing and fixing it, but I may look at doing something with it anyways. I can always cap whichever return is the problem. I have an unused pool sweep line so provided it holds pressure (it should) it can be used instead.

waterbear said:

Hehe... yeah we were touching on 80 degrees here in Tucson over the weekend so I fired up the heater and went swimming with the kids! Hehe... I'll save all you northerners the pain of posting pictures of our winter pool. :-D

Kinguni said:
Actually, going south from here, Grand Forks typically gets 50% more snow that us, and Fargo typically twice as much as us, so it's not surprising you got more snow that us from the last 2 blizzards. I think it's your closer proximity to the Gulf that draws more moisture. The winter of 96/97 was a heavy show year here, and even more so in Minnesota. I remember pictures from that winter with the snow drifts to the roof peaks, and tunnels in the snow dug to front doors in NW Minnesota. By the end of March the snow was mostly melted, and then the Colorado low came through first weekend of April and dumped again nearly as much snow as the whole winter. The Flood of the Century soon followed. That was quite the year.

We had 149" of snow that winter, 9.5' drifts on each side of our driveway that year, the moose in our yard were in over their belly, then when the big ice storm came in the spring, we were out of power for 10 days (thanks for a generator!!) and then the flood - we had to take a boat to work in North Dakota for over a month as the only way across the river was south of Fargo - 3 hours away!!! We DESERVE a pool in the summer!!!

That is a URL of a page that contains an image, not a link directly to the image. Further, I believe that Picasa does not allow direct links to their images on other sites. So even if you could get the URL to the image I don't think it would work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.