Why is my PSI meter at 35? The system is off...

Jun 19, 2007
Charleston, SC
I pulled the tarp off of the pool and was thinking i'd get a head start on opening the pool this year. I went to the pump area, and I have the handle set to "winterize" but the PSI meter is reading 35. Why is that? When everything is off it should read zero. When it's running, it stays around 10-15 PSI. Should I be worried? ANy steps I should take? Thanks!

You should replace the meter. It is usually easy to find a replacement and they aren't too expensive.

It is not uncommon for the pressure meter to be damaged over the winter. The slightest bit of water inside the meter will damage the delicate mechanism in a freeze. If you winterize the pool, it is best to take the meter indoors for the winter.

Wow i never thought of that but that is probably what it is. It is about half full of water. I guess it just unscrews? I've never really looked at it closely. Thanks for the quick reply!

So my pool has some minor debris on the bottom and the typical algae all over. I have the water just below the skimmer. And like i said, the handle is set to "winterize". What would be the proper procedure for bring the pool out of it's hibernation? Is there a how-to guide that someone can point me to?

I don't think we have done a spring guide yet. Mostly it is just the opposite of the winterizing sequence, with slightly different emphasis.

Replace any drain plugs that were removed. Remove any pipe plugs, skimmer blocks, etc that were installed. Remove the cover if any. Refill to operating level. Get the pump running. Shock to get rid of algae. Adjust chemical levels. Store winterizing equipment.

Some people leave the cover on until the pump is running, some people take it off first thing. A solid cover with lots of leaves and water on it can be a project to remove.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.