Where to get a replacement pump motor?

Aug 3, 2007
west tx
We had 2 big dust storms this week, so I figured that I better brush the 1" of dirt that sits at the bottom and run the pump for a couple of days. We had the pump motor running on filter for 3 or 4 days. Turned it off to change to backwash and then restart the motor. The motor did not start turning but rather it made a load humming noise. I thought something was in the pump section so I removed the motor. The pump was not full of garbage and I can easily turn the shaft of the motor. The motor makes the same sound when I run it with it removed from the pump. So, I am guessing the motor has partially failed.

My motor is a Century Centerion by A. O. Smith. It is about 7 years old.
The motor catalog number: B853
Type: CX Frame: P56Y
HP: 1.0 SF: 1.24 Phase: 1
60 Hz, 3450 RPM
Volts: 230/115
Amps : sp 7.1 / 14.2
Time: Continous Encl: DP Frame KJM
Code: J insul class: B Ambient: 50 deg C

Where can I get a new motor without paying the large mark up from the typical pool warehouses?

Thanks,

Paul

There are some good deals available on the Internet is you do some searching.

The starter contacts might be stuck. Sometimes giving the motor a solid bump, say with a 2x4 enough to shake things up but not enough to dent anything, can unstick the contacts. Or if you are feeling a little adventurous, you can try opening the motor up and cleaning and wiggling the contacts.

I just went through this a couple months ago.

You can start here at the AO Smith cross reference webpage:

http://www.aosmithmotors.com/concertox/ ... rence.html

Put in your model number and it will tell you what motors to replace it with.

I then found mine online and bought it here:

A1 Pool

http://www.A1PoolParts.com

I bought the CSCR or energy efficient model as the cost was not that much more and there is a 25% reduction in electrical usage.

Linky to my thread:

http://www.troublefreepools.com/about3225.html

Hope this helps,
dave

When I bought my house the previous owner showed me the well pump and how he was able to get around the humming problem. There was a slot in the far (outside) end of the pump shaft that could accomodate a large standard screwdriver. He had taken a flat spade-type wood drill bit, removed the protruding tip and then used it to kick-start the pump on startup. He would have his wife stand inside and kick the circuit breaker while he applied the drill power.

As soon as I moved in, I replaced the capacitor which I was also told was the most likely cause (it's also one of the cheapest to fix). NOTE: IF YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CAPACITORS HAVE A PROFESSIONAL DO THE WORK. That didn't fix the problem so I removed the pump and took it in for repair. It turned out that the shaft was bent and the bearings shot so I scrapped it for a new one.

When I bought my house the previous owner showed me the well pump and how he was able to get around the humming problem. There was a slot in the far (outside) end of the pump shaft that could accomodate a large standard screwdriver. He had taken a flat spade-type wood drill bit, removed the protruding tip and then used it to kick-start the pump on startup. He would have his wife stand inside and kick the circuit breaker while he applied the drill power.

Sounds like that has the potential to be the punch line of a "You might be a redneck" joke!! :lol: :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.