Raised spa height?????

Aug 25, 2011
First of many post as we get ready to start our build..... I have noticed various raised spa heights. The norm seems to 12 inches and I have seen others at 7 inches. How or what influenced your decision on what height to set your spa? I originally wanted it flush, but we have decided to raise it.....

What area do you live in? Keep in mind attached spas must be closed for the winter along with the pool in cold climate areas. Which is why i much prefer stand alone spas/hot tubs.

Regardless I think you made a good choice staying away from flush since I would worry about leaves or even rainwater off the deck rolling into the spa

My spa is raised. I suppose you could raise it to any height you wanted, but only 2 options make sense to me. However, I'm far from an architect. The first would be around 6", or about the size of a normal step. The second would be about 18", or about the size of a normal bench. I went with the bench option so people could sit comfortably along the outside.

One thing to keep in mind is how much water will be above the pool level. I don't have check valves on everything. I usually have my jandy valves set so about 75% go to pool returns, 25% goes to the spa to keep it circulated. When the pump is off, the levels equalize. Check valves can prevent that, but check valves can also fail. If the spa is too tall, and it drains down, you run two risks: plaster drying out in the spa, and pool overflowing.

That said, I wish my spa (and the pool, too!) had a raised edge. Anything on the patio is fair game to end up in the pool. Even 2 or 3" would keep a lot of small stuff from blowing in.

X-PertPool,

I've got a raised spa that flows into my pool and it isn't winterized, but the pool is. If you have the right plumbing configuration, you can keep one open and the other closed. I have mine about 18" above the pool and it's fun using it all summer and winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.