CYA not dissolving in stocking...

gdog2004

Jul 19, 2011
Lehigh Valley, PA
Hi guys:
Per the advice from this forum I put some CYA granules in a one of my wifes thigh high stockings(with her permission of course ;)) and put it in front of the return. I put about 2 lbs in to hopefully raise my CYA to about 30. Its not able to stay right in front of the return, it just hangs beneath it. I was hoping it would be gone this morning but it looks as full as when I started. I ran the filter for like 7 hours yesterday and turned it off overnight(no dedicated power yet--delayed due to storm).
I wasnt sure exaclty how to put it in the skimmer (pour it above the leaf basket ? not sure) and I read a sock or stocking is better.
I dont really backwash frequently at all. For my 21 ft pool my filter is HUGE (heyward S244T).
So I would guess I would rarely have to backwash. When I get home from work should I take it out of the stocking and dump in the skimmer basket ?

It seems from some postings here that different water conditions result in different time required to get the CYA into the water. I put mine in a sock and put it in the skimmer. Usually takes about 3 days, with most of the action after the first day.

It will... eventually. Could take a while though without squeezing. So squish it frequently tonight, hourly or whenever you think about it. If it's HTH brand it will dissolve very quickly, the other brands seems to be a little more stubborn and take longer even with squishing.

frogabog said:
It will... eventually. Could take a while though without squeezing. So squish it frequently tonight, hourly or whenever you think about it. If it's HTH brand it will dissolve very quickly, the other brands seems to be a little more stubborn and take longer even with squishing.
As frog always says...squish squish squish...

linen said:
frogabog said:
As frog always says...squish squish squish...
OK will do. I never dealt with CYA and my first thought was..."its acid DONT TOUCH IT !" --but apparently there is no harm in doing so ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.