Two Pumps or one?

Jun 29, 2011
Texas
I recently purchased a home with a pool and am learning as I go. The pool is describe below and has the 2HP pump. from what I can read, this sounds like too much for the regular pool filtering and skimming. I was looking to purchase a single speed 1HP Whisperflow and replacing this old 2HP. I am not sure about the head, but can state the following;

Spa - 2" piping
Pool - 1.5" piping
Cleaner Port - 1" piping (not connected)

The valves only allow for the pump to run the pool or the spa.

My questions are

1. Can I run the same setup with the 1HP, and gain efficiencies?
2. Can I use the new 1HP to run the pool more efficent and re-plumb the setup for the 2HP to run the spa and cleaner port?
3. Can I run two pumps through the same filter without having to manually adjust a valve? Currently, from what I can tell, I need to filter the spa seperatley from the pool, which is annoying.
4. If I cannot run both pumps through the filter, would the fact the cleaner sucks in clean filtered pool water and jets it into the spa effectively be the same as running it through the filter? The spa spills into the pool.

I'm just finally getting around to the pool "to do" list these days after moving in. As I stated here, I was wondering about two pumps, btu after looking at dual speed motor replacements, that is likely the best solution for the money.

Can anyone tell me what I need to evaluate when looking at the dual speed for the low end HP? My 2HP pushes the spa jets pretty good, more would likely not hurt either.

Given the info in my sig, can someone recommend how small I can go with the dual speed? I would leave the low speed on the regular timer and just run high when I want the spa, or cleaner to work.

If more info is needed about the pool or setup, I'll describe what I can.

Unless your pool/spa was originally plumbed for two pumps, it might be easier to go with a single pump. Also, since you have a spa and wouldn't mind more action, then you are stuck with a 2 HP or even bigger. Downsizing the pump will reduce the strength of the spa jets which is probably not the direction that you want to go. However, as Bama pointed out, a two speed might be a good compromise. High speed for the spa jets and low for every thing else. If you have the budget, a variable speed would give you a lot more flexibility to set RPMs to exactly what you need.

You can't go any smaller unless you want weaker spa jets.

You could just replace the motor on your current pump with a two speed but you will need to match it to the impeller you have (i.e. same THP and frame).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.