Are chlorine pucks bad for my car?

Aug 23, 2010
Alsace, France
After 5 years of getting pool-stored and using bromine pucks, I'm slowly switching to chlorine. But now the garage where I stored a bucket of pucks has a strong chlorine smell. I remember seeing the damage done by chlorine gas to a metal shed under the community pool. The steel was eaten away!
:rant: :hammer: :rant:

Just wondering, now that I am storing chlorine, should I worry about my very nice old BMW stored in the same garage? Will the chlorine fumes attack the paint etc?
:shock: :rant:

There could be some damage over a long period of time especially if the ventilation is poor and it gets hot. Trichlor breaks down slowly over time, especially when it gets hot. The gasses that are released are corrosive.

Just to add my $.02, get a couple of plastic storage bins and keep you chlorine in one and your muriatic acid in the other. Keep them outside in the shade. Both these chemicals will outgas and oxidize any metal in the area, like your cool car :wink:

Do not store in the garage with a car and other stuff. I found major damage and corrosion to golf clubs, tools, and other items after storing chlorine in the garage. Just store outside.

IMHO

When I worked in a nationally-known pool store, we had to replace the computers about once a year or so because the trichlor corroded everything inside. Shelves were constantly rusty no matter how much we painted them. We had to keep our tools in ziplok bags so they wouldn't corrode. I can only imagine what my lungs looked like after working there..

cya_sux said:
...I can only imagine what my lungs looked like after working there..

Fortunately you cough up lots of krap every hour just to clean out your lungs. I saw some countryman of mine smoking today and boy I just had to tell him how dumb it is. We are born with pink lungs then we go down hill from there, non?
:hammer: :rant:

I been working all day weed pulling and my body is tyred out, but thanks to all yours comments I want to go outside right now to that garage and put that chlorine outside! My car deserve better :goodjob: :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.