Wiring a pool light

May 30, 2011
Ok, so my pool build is almost 100 percent compelte, except for the pool light.

I have an inground vinyl liner pool with a hayward Niche, I have a 12 volt light that I am going to install into the pool and with the instructions it shows a required #8 awg COPPER WIRE to be ran inside the pool light conduit.

What is this wire for? I bonded the niche using the connector on the outside of the niche and had it inspected before the pour. Every single light company that I research shows this wire up in the conduit.....but nowhere does it show it being connected to anything.

Is this wire supposed to be the "water bond" wire for the pool? I have an additional water bond at the ladder and inside the pump room using a copper fitting that is mounted in the water supply.

Does this wire go all the way to the junction box? Or just up a few feet to water bond?

Most low voltage lights are specially tested and rated to not require this wire. But all high voltage lights and a few low voltage lights in wet niches require a #8 insulated copper bonding wire in the conduit from the junction box to the bonding terminal in the niche, unless metal conduit is used. This is in addition to any other bonding that might run to the niche. At the junction box there should be a special grounding terminal for it to be connected to.

Thank you for your help...now for my next question...

The 12Volt light that I have has a standard 3 wire cord (similar to the 120v light) is there a specific transformer that works with this kind of setup?

Is this a 12 voltAC light, or 12 volt DC light?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.