SWG Cell terminals burnt out

Aug 29, 2011
Hello

After 2 years of trouble free operation of my SWG, I found the cell terminals burnt out as on attached picture.
For now I take this as something that "just can happen" while I work with pool shop to see whether this can be passed in warranty.

That said what I am interested in is to know:
- whether this is a "common" problem using this particular type of cable-to-cell connection
- whether there are "tricks" to reduce the chance of this issue occuring.

Thanks
Fred

I'm going out on a limb here and going to say that doesn't look like something that "just happens". That looks like it could have been a serious fire hazard had it gone undetected.
I hope they replace that under warranty for you, that's not "normal" wear and tear.

Also, your want to create a signature so users can see what size your pool is and what equipment you have.

it's normal for contacts to burn out when the person maintaining the pool hasn't kept them clean and/or ensured there is a good contact and connectors aren't loose. that goes for any contacts, not just pool specific.

having said that, the design looks like it would be more prone to them burning out due to small contact surface. or at least it looks that way on the photo.

Hello too much time has passed by without letting you know how i fixed (and I hope resolved) the issue.
The very normal hardware shop saved me: see picture attached. Once per season I take the connections off and clean cell contacts then tighten it all again. I can now tighten the screws as much as I deem necessary for making good electrical contact.
The whole contact area stays at low temperature even with cell operating at 100%.
I feel more safe/comfortable with this home-made connections that the factory cable connections that rely on (too?) loose mechanical fitting between cable and cell contacts.
Since SWG system is out of guarantee anyway I could easily make this change to the system. However having observed it for 1,5 years now operating hassle-free I would even consider it for in-guarantee systems.

Regards
Fred

PS I spent 4,5 euros in the hardware shop against 115 euros for the official manufacturer cable....

The conductors have too much exposed uninsulated copper for my tastes but still looks better than what may have caused your issue originally.

Another suggestion is dielectric grease on the connections. It will help keep them in good condition, prevent corrosion, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.