Replacing pump

Jul 19, 2011
Any suggestions for replacing a 780gph summer escapes pool pump/filter. There are so many pumps I dont know what to choose. Pool is 16x42. I dont mind cartrige filters, that is what this one is, the added expense is just having to buy new filters every now and then. What is the added expense with a sand filter? Also wondering about hose fittings etc, how do I figure out what to get????? We had an algae bloom after I had a baby about two weeks ago, have been filtering cloudy water about a week now and seem to be getting nowhere. Strange thing is the return flow is pretty weak but the filter is clean as a whistle, I have checked all hoses etc, even the rotor for blockages and cant find anything wrong. We are going out of town for 4 days this week, pretty sure it will be a swamp when I get back. I want to replace the pump then and see if I can get back my sparkling oasis.

merritt11 said:
What is the added expense with a sand filter?
Pool sand. Also, to clean the sand filter you backwash some pool water through it, so it costs a little (not much) water. I do not have direct knowledge of you filter, but I do have experience with the exquivlent intex filter and it is junk. A sand filter will be much better. The 1600 gph intex sand filter pump combo (try not to get the integrated swg version) I would think would be perfect for you. You could also try craigslist, I have had luck on there.

merritt11 said:
Also wondering about hose fittings etc, how do I figure out what to get?????
If you go with an intex, do a google search (search box at bottom of page) on that, people have posted about it.

merritt11 said:
We had an algae bloom after I had a baby about two weeks ago, have been filtering cloudy water about a week now and seem to be getting nowhere. Strange thing is the return flow is pretty weak but the filter is clean as a whistle, I have checked all hoses etc, even the rotor for blockages and cant find anything wrong. We are going out of town for 4 days this week, pretty sure it will be a swamp when I get back. I want to replace the pump then and see if I can get back my sparkling oasis.
I would get a new pump/filter. Have you followed the shocking process (see my sig for link) in pool school?

My husband says fixtures for hoses wont be a big problem. I asked this question earlier and got and answer from frogabog, want to hear your take linen. What do you mean by clear or crystal clear with the shocking process? I mean, I had the pool at shock level for about a week and have cloudy water though I can see to the bottom of the pool, it gets progressively foggier as it gets deeper. If you can shock it until its clear then why does anyone ever have a problem with cloudy water after an algae outbreak? By the way took apart the rotor today and did find that it wasnt turning properly so already that is helping with flow. Still want a new pump though.

merritt11 said:
What do you mean by clear or crystal clear with the shocking process? I mean, I had the pool at shock level for about a week and have cloudy water though I can see to the bottom of the pool, it gets progressively foggier as it gets deeper. If you can shock it until its clear then why does anyone ever have a problem with cloudy water after an algae outbreak?
It could be that your filter is not able to quickly (or at all maybe) remove what is in you water. It could be dead algae carcasses, but it also could still be live organisms. Shocking some pools takes a long time, my neighbors took over a month this year, there water was cloudy for a while at the end, but they were still fighting something. Sounds like you might be very close to the end. Have you passed the shocking finished criteria listed in my signature?

On my soap box...It frustrates me that these manufactures package these insufficient pump/filters with these relatively large pools. To me it seems that there motivation is to "hook" you on the pool at low cost, then get you to purchase more equipment soon. A little bait and switch? :grrrr:

That's for sure. We do run the pump 24/7 though which in the GA heat (between 95-105 everyday since May) will certainly shorten the life of that crummy little thing. As for the criteria- I dont have a good test kit yet, this is our first year with a pool and it was already an investment so I figured on getting a new pump and good test kit next year. I did not figure on getting algae this year! So I am using a dilution method, not entirely accurate but good enough so I can keep the ch in shock range. The water is looking clearer since I got the pump running a bit better, still it is maxed out and stops frequently (just when i need it the most). I think the filter can remove the cloudiness if it would only keep running. I am going out of town tomorrow for 4 days, how would you handle that? Just dump in a bunch of bleach? How much? Or go ahead and get some ch pucks? Sorry to have so many questions, this is my first year at this.

merritt11 said:
Just dump in a bunch of bleach? How much? Or go ahead and get some ch pucks? Sorry to have so many questions, this is my first year at this.
Do you know your CYA level, and or have you used CYA, trichlor pucks or dichlor this year and how much/many? If you knew you CYA and it was low, pucks in floater might be a good choice. On my pool with known CYA, I went up above normal shock level using liquid chlorine/bleach, covered the pool and let it go for the five days I was gone. It was fine when I came back, just needed to let the FC level drop. Do you have a cover? That helps reduce how fast the FC is burned off by the sun.

I opened the season according to pool school for small pools but since we have had both rain, splash out and our little vacuum uses the hose-we have added water since. When I add water I have added small amounts of CYA but technically no, I have no accurate reading. I can only tell that it seems stable around 40 since that is the number I started with and tried to maintain and my chlorine amounts were very stable (about two ups a night before the outbreak). At this point with cloudy water in the pool still I am not sure what to do. On the bright side I came home from errands to find my husband with the pump all apart. he did some work on it and put it back in and what a difference in the flow rate! I dont think it has EVER worked properly. I mean the water has been clean and clear all summer but I guess only because I was on top of it all the time. The return flow is actually whirlpooling the water a bit, that has never happened. So I think that all this time it has been broken and only partly doing the job, now my awesone husband has it working better than ever. Also, I will be leaving tomorrow and back friday night so I will be able to treat it both of those days I guess so it will be more like three days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.