LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2011
Eastern Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've finished the swap from Baquacil about a week ago now, and am loving the benefits of chlorine. After I passed the OCLT I've added 64oz of stabilizer to the pool, which by my math should take me up to around 20ppm of CYA. So far I'm starting to see the CYA show up in the tests, but I'm a hair short each time. I've got another bucket of stabilizer ready to go, however we should be closing the pool in less than a month. I'm guessing we will have at least one more swim party next week on labor day, however for the most part at this time it will just be one or two people swimming. I've found myself adding maybe 8 cups of bleach a day to stay around a 5FC level, and the lowest I've dropped so far is around a 3FC mark.

Which would you suggest......
1. Add the other 64oz of stabilizer to the pool bringing me around a 40ppm level and go with that into next season. We don't drain much of the water, if any each winter. We do however end up adding a few thousand gallons each spring however.

2. Keep the extra bucket of stabilizer tucked away somewhere and save it till next season. I'll end up using more bleach this way, but may as well keep the levels low over the winter and save the stabilizer for next spring.

Hey leebo, could you put your pool/equipment details in your sig? It would help, I hunted down you pool volume from you conversion thread-25000 gallons. From poolcalculator.com I get 67 by weight, 70 ounces by volume of dry stabilizer needed to raise 25000 gallons from 0 to 20 ppm CYA. So it seem our number agree. You did use dry (granules or powdered) CYA? What brand and what is the listed percent CYA?

With that said, since you have not had trouble maintaining FC and you are keeping a close eye (testing) on the pool, I would think you could go with it for now, adding more next spring.

Sorry about the lack of info....I could have swore I did that.

I used the granular form of acid put into a sock by the eye-balls. Let float for about 3 hours and the crushed up the last bit. I can't recall the brand or % but I'm sticking with a level will slow around 20. I was just wondering if there would be a benefit over winter to have a higher CYA level?

But without having to buy that, what else will I buy during the off-season. :)

Leebo said:
Sorry about the lack of info....I could have swore I did that.
I thought you had too...you sig looks familiar...weird...

Leebo said:
I used the granular form of acid put into a sock by the eye-balls. Let float for about 3 hours and the crushed up the last bit. I can't recall the brand or % but I'm sticking with a level will slow around 20. I was just wondering if there would be a benefit over winter to have a higher CYA level?
If you pool is covered with an uv opaque cover, I don't know of many benefits.

My experience has been that when we open the pool in the spring, the cya is always very low. I think it's at least partially because of the snow melt and the rain in the spring that end up overflowing the edge. I would save the cya for next year.

Another "what would you do" question for you.

FC 3
Cc 0
Ta 150
Ph 7.6 ish
CH 180

My PH does seem to go up every two or three days....but nothing major as of yet. I plugged the numbers into the calculator and saw that the CSI number show's "at risk". I must admit.....I have NO idea what the CSI number means. ;( I'm guessing it would be best to lower the TA with some muriatic acid but I'm still unsure of myself when using these new chemicals. Should I even worry about the CSI number with a vinyl pool?? Is there another way around using the acid to lower the TA???

CSI is less important for Vinyl pools but you can still get calcium scaling issues if you let the CSI number get too high +.

Slowly drop your TA number (by using normal additions of MA to lower PH to 7.2 or so) and that might help slow down the PH rise you are seeing.

Got it....so forget about it is the answer. :D

Just got concerned when I saw the wording.....
Greater than 0.6 is suggestive of problems for all pools.

Mine turned out to be around .16 :wave: Never have used ma however, always been to worried I'd melt something or knock myself out. Guess it's time to give it a shot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.