Return Plugged

Jun 29, 2011
Texas
I'm still relativley new to the pool world and have an older inground pool that's had a return plugged since we purchased the house a few months back.

I purchased a drain king to try and push whatever is in there back to see if I could clear it. Well, when the hose was turned on, I heard a pop over by the pump/pipes. When I checked, water was everywhere and there is a stand alone pipe that comes out of the slab that had the cap blown off. The pipe is not conencted to anything, just straight out of the slab, normally with a cap.

During this process, the drain king slipped out and exploded. I shut the water off, and put the cap back on the pipe. When I checked the water flow of the return, still nothing. I plan to get anotehr drain king and start again.

However, can anyone tell me how this stand along pipe with a cap works into the pumping? Why woudl pushing back cause it to pop? Ther eis another stand alone pipe next to it, but it has a U on top point down, but with no cap on it. Like a pressure release or something.

I think you got it. I re-tested it and water flows both ways with no issue, to its a line with nothing connected. Its a 1" line, with another un-used 1" line next to it (on the slab).

Any ideas what the other unused one woudl be for? There are no other returns/cleaner ports in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.