New pool estimate for San Antonio area(thoughts)

Jul 25, 2011
Schertz, Tx
Tell me your opinions. I am a rookie in need of advice. Thanks for your help.
Pete

8/27/11
Custom Pool Estimate
(This estimate does not constitute a contract. Price may vary depending on final design, choice of finishes and changes in actual location of pool and equipment on property)
POOL SIZE
• 31’ X 18’ Custom Non - Diving Pool
• 435 Sq.Ft of Pool
• 13,860 Gallons
• 3’ to 5’ to 4’ Deep
• 229 Sq Ft of Stability Reinforced Monolithic Cantilever Apron Topped with Mesa Beige Colored Rock Salt Concrete
*Additional Decking listed below (total decking 678 Sq.Ft.)

POOL EQUIPMENT
• Pools Pump System Designed for Utility Cost Savings. This System is Designed to Run 24Hr/day, The Pump is a 3 Hp, 2-Speed Pumping System with 21/2” Plumbing *Turn over rate with the New System = 5 to 6 times per-day on Your Pool With Four Adjustable Return Inlets
• Hayward High Capacity Cartridge Filtration System ( 425 SQFT Cartridge with a 150+ GPM flow rate)
• Pool Custom Pre-Filter Skimmer (Over Size Skimmer with Pre-filter Skimmer Basket 4 to 5 Times Larger than Normal Skimmer Baskets)
• Aqua Rite Chlorine Generator (SALT)
• Overflow Line
• Polaris 280 Pool Cleaner with Timer
• Electrical Sub-Panel for All Pool Equipment
• 500 Watt Pool Light
• Full Set of Pool Cleaning Equipment
• Pool Chemical Test Kit

POOL DESIGN
“Designs Pools to APSP (NSPI) Pool Safety Standards”
• Pool Design 8”min. 5000 PSI Wet Gunite Walls and Floor with #4 Grade 60 Steel on 9” centers, and Designed for Pool Profiles of up to 45’ Long)
• Unique Primus Safety Drain with “Snap- Off” cap to eliminate Hair Entrapment
• 8’ Seat Bench
• Ledge Rock Waterfall low profile
• Custom in Pool Steps
• Formed Edge at Coping
• Plaster will be Caribbean Blue
• Tile Step Markers (TBD)
• 6” Waterline Tile (TBD)
• *449 Sq Ft additional decking topped with Mesa Beige Colored Rock Salt Concrete

$41,289

Price “Includes” the Following:
• Custom Pool Design and Complete Set of Detailed Construction Drawings.
• Build Consultation by Designer/Consultant
• H.O.A. Drawings (if Required)
• Stake-out Drawings
• Full Scale Lay-out of Pool and Decking with Site Elevation Grades Shot for Pool Elevation and Site Drainage (Stake-out )
• Plumbing and Electrical Permits if Required
All Wiring to National Electrical Code
All Utility Plumbing to Code
• Up To a Total of 100 Feet of Electrical
• Up to 50 Foot Plumbing Run from Pool to Equipment
• In-House Construction Crews, Structural and Hydraulic Engineering.
• Minimum 8” Thick 5000 PSI Wet Mix Gunite and Patented #60 Gary Vanaloy Steel or equivalent
• All Pool Circulation Plumbing
• Removal of All Excess Dirt and Rock From Excavation
• Site Clean-up
• Pool School Training at Check-out
• Cleaning Filters After Plaster has Completely Cured
• Lifetime Transferable Structural Warranty

••• All Pools come with one FREE Year of Active Service Warranty which includes 3 free service calls and unlimited warranty on all pool equipment, hardscape as per contract, and plumbing. Active Service Warranty is renewable for an annual fee for the life of the pool Also includes a Lifetime Warranty on The Gunite Pool Shell To Hold Water. You’re Pool and Pool Equipment Is 100% Warranted for One Year. All New Equipment Manufactures Warrantees, (Example the Pool Controller Aqua Rite, or Aqua Logic is Warranted for 5 Years) Are Warranted Through Gary Pools Service Department •••
Pricing “Does Not Include” the Following
• Landscaping
• Furniture
• Rock Excavation

Special Notes:
1) Pool Main Drain and Bottom Circulation Point will be Pools Special Safety Primus Drain with Automatic Suction Entrapment Relief with Special Snap in Drain Covers for Hair Entrapment Relief.
2) The Only Piping Under a Pool is to the Main Primus Drain, and it will be Plumbed with Special Schedule 80 PVC

was wondering if all the specs of the equipment was necessary? The rep stated the equip. was all upgraded, like do i really need 3hp pump for that size of pool and so on. I was hoping the tech guys on here could help. I like the layout and look but trying to trim the cost.

Hello peterleenorton,
A 3 hp sounds like way too much h.p.! :shock: That is like leaving an air compressor running. It would needlessly waste a lot of energy, (and dollars). Running it 24/7 would probably waste $100 or more a month in electricity
For whatever reason builders and sales people assume "the more h.p pump the better" :?: Maybe he is adding the Polaris booster pump hp? Get some more specifics on this.
Also, you should only need to turn over your water once a day. I don't have the formulas but I would bet that a 2 speed 1 1/2 would be plenty on low at only 8 hours a day. I believe the high speed would still work fine for the waterfall
We have a slightly larger pool with a 1.5 hp and we never use the high speed on it, but we plan on adding a water fall.

The 2 1/2" plumbing sounds good.
You will probably want to upgrade to a color changing LED light. Ck on his upgrade costs.
As Lershac said, more decking is always better, mark out the dimensions and try laying out your planned furniture.
The price doesn't seem too bad but keep doing your homework and research so you can shop your complete dream pool and hopefully not get nickled and dimed with add on's or change orders.
I would ask about his payment schedule so you don't pay most early and not leave incentives to finish everything correctly.

Best of luck,
John

Looks good. As others said the pump looks a little large even on low speed. You may want to consider a sand filter for lower maintenance costs long term. Those cartridges get expensive.

Looks like a Gary pool. They do good work and have been around forever. Best way to negotiate with them is to get a quote from Keith Zars.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.