Finally ready to go to work on my green swamp!

G

I was finally able to run the pump (circulate) for an hour this morning and get my first testing done with my new Taylor K-2006 kit. Water is very, very green with a ton of algae :-( Below are some pics of my equipment:

Here are my test results:

FC 0
CC 0
PH 7.2
TA 50
CH 120
CYA -30

I have memorized pool school so I know what I need to do, but this is my first pool so I welcome any suggestions - these are my initial questions:

I did the CC test twice - is it possible that there is no CC in the pool?
The 30ppm is the lowest that the Taylor kit goes - do I just add 20ppm of CYA to make sure that I don;t put too much in?
Do I need to do anything to raise the TA?
Do I bother with the PH as its only .3ppm on the low side?

Can someone please explain to me what the booster pump does and how it works? Also, in my control panel there are two on/off switched above the two timers - I guess the second one is for the booster pump. Should I run the booster when I'm running the other pump? Will the booster increase water flow and help clear the pool faster?

Thanks for the help :)

Attachments

• filter system.jpg
    filter system.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 466
  • pumps.jpg
    pumps.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 466
  • control panel.jpg
    control panel.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 466
I did the CC test twice - is it possible that there is no CC in the pool?
The 30ppm is the lowest that the Taylor kit goes - do I just add 20ppm of CYA to make sure that I don;t put too much in?
Do I need to do anything to raise the TA?
Do I bother with the PH as its only .3ppm on the low side?

1. Shock the pool by following the procedure outlined in Pool School.

2. Disregard CC's for now
Disregard TA for now
Your pH is fine. leave it where it is

3. Your CYA info is just a little confusing....Do you have 30 CYA right now or do you have zero? 30 CYA is a fine place to start the shock process.

The lowest CYA readiing on the Taylor test kit that I have is 30ppm. My CYA is lower than that because with the test compartment filled to the top I can still see the black dot on the bottom of the compartment....

I understand, now. I would call that ) CYA and add enough into the pool to get to 20-30ppm while you are in the shock process. You will add more later but 20-30 is about perfect for shocking.

Sorry about the typos but you interpreted it correctly.

The booster pump is there for the purpose of operating a pressure-side cleaner like the Polaris 280, for example.

It's only function is to increase pressure to the cleaner when you are cleaning the pool and serves no other purpose.

Hmm.... so the second timer in the control panel would start booster pump which would activate the auto cleaner? (assuming it was hooked up and in the pool)

People leave their bots in there and set the timer for when they want to bot to clean and just let it go?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
wkener2 said:
What do I need to know about this booster pump?
Your setup with two timers looks almost exactly like mine. Turn on your booster pump and see if the jet in the center of the pool gets extra pressure shooting out of it. If so, and you're not using and auto cleaner right now, just turn off that timer and unscrew the little arrow things that trip the timer. The booster pump really serves no other purpose but for the auto cleaner. Well, unless you just want to get a good back massage while in the pool because if yours is like mine, it puts out some serious pressure.

Making progress, but algae is kicking my but pretty good! I have not been able to test every half hour and therefore have not been able to keep the shock level high enough for long enough :-( Its after dark now, and I brought the pool back up to shock level a half hour ago and am going to test now. Here are pics from mid-day:

Attachments

• greenpool2.jpg
    greenpool2.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 334
  • greensteps2.jpg
    greensteps2.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 333
It looks LOADS better! You're doing great. Lovin the images.

If you can keep it up every half hour or so tonight till late I bet you'll see something that pleases you tomorrow morning :~}

Bump the last dose up a few ppm (base it on what you see it lose during tonight's testing) while you sleep so there's a little extra to keep things moving overnight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.