Lube For Threaded PVC into Pump?

Teflon tape will work, but I find it easier to use pipe dope designed for plastic fittings, especially on the larger fittings like the pump connections.

JohnT said:
Teflon tape will work, but I find it easier to use pipe dope designed for plastic fittings, especially on the larger fittings like the pump connections.

I have a tiny drip coming from the bottom of my skimmer basket to my hose. Would pipe dope help seal this better than teflon? Never thought about using it.

My plumber, who is an absolute perfectionist swears you should use Teflon tape and pipe dope. He says the dope not only helps seal but lubricate during assembly so less of the teflon is taken away by friction. That's what I do know and have never had a problem.

I never thought I would live long enough to see a plumber so particular about his work.

Dalandlord said:
My plumber, who is an absolute perfectionist swears you should use Teflon tape and pipe dope. He says the dope not only helps seal but lubricate during assembly so less of the teflon is taken away by friction. That's what I do know and have never had a problem.

I never thought I would live long enough to see a plumber so particular about his work.

That's the way I've always put threaded PVC together. First about two wraps of teflon tape followed by pipe dope. I use Rectorseal No. 5 for the dope. When you do it that way the fittings can be put together hand tight and you don't need to screw them all the way in. They also come apart easy.

A trick I learned from a pipe fitter years ago to stop leaking joints caused by threads that are buggered up is to first put a thin coating of pipe dope on the male threads then wrap them with sewing thread or thin (2 lb) nylon fishing line followed by a top coating of dope. Just make sure the line stays in the valleys of the threads and does not cross over the the top. This works particularly well for threaded stainless steel fittings that are notorious for being hard to seal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.