Pump Question

mvk111

May 26, 2011
Tampa, FLorida
So the builder installed a 1hp 2 speed Sta-rite super pump instead of the 1 1/2 hp that was in the plans and I wanted.. This obviously upset me when I caught it today. I called and they said well he installed it because he felt the 1hp was enough for your pool and it would save you money. So my question is should I have them replace the 1hp to the 1 1/2 hp or should I keep it. The principle of the matter makes me want to change it to what I ordered. Is the 1 1/2 to much for my pool and system. I have a waterfall, bubbler and a 53' Sta Rite DE Filter for approx. 11000 gallons or a little bigger better.

Your opinions are wanted...let me know...thanks.

In most cases a smaller pump is better. You only want the larger pump if you have a spa or waterfall or other water feature that requires the extra HP. For normal water circulation you want the smallest pump that will work in order to save money on electricity. Larger pumps use more electricity to move the same amount of water compared to a smaller pump.

JasonLion said:
In most cases a smaller pump is better. You only want the larger pump if you have a spa or waterfall or other water feature that requires the extra HP. For normal water circulation you want the smallest pump that will work in order to save money on electricity. Larger pumps use more electricity to move the same amount of water compared to a smaller pump.

So since I have a waterfall (2' sheer descent) and a bubbler should I go with the 1 1/2 like I planned?

I agree with Jason, I have about the same size pool as you (though mine is an agp). I have a 1 hp 2 speed and only use the high speed when I am circulating through my solar panels 16 feet above the pump. For everything else the full speed is overkill. I think the pb is actually being smart, though he probably should have discussed it with you first.

What I would suggest is to try the pump running the waterfall and see if it supplies enough water. If it does then you'll be better off staying with the 1 hp. I'd have it understood that if the waterfall didn't have enough flow he'd be responsible for replacing the pump. Also don't be fooled by hp. Some 1 hp pumps have a higher flow then some 1½ hp pumps so don't get stuck by the numbers.

Bama Rambler said:
What I would suggest is to try the pump running the waterfall and see if it supplies enough water. If it does then you'll be better off staying with the 1 hp. I'd have it understood that if the waterfall didn't have enough flow he'd be responsible for replacing the pump. Also don't be fooled by hp. Some 1 hp pumps have a higher flow then some 1½ hp pumps so don't get stuck by the numbers.

Thanks Bama.....everything flowed exceptionally well......keeping the 1hp !!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.