maybe leak in waterfall - how to seal- silicone or grout?

anonapersona

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
The waterfall has been off for 2 days now and the pool level is holding fine. A close inspection of the waterfall shows a couple of places where there is heavy enough efflorescence that I think this may be pointing to where water is getting behind the rocks. In both spots, a bit higher, there was a spot or two where the grout between the rocks might be bad. The waterfall only runs about 2 hours normally this time of year and so those spots would have to take a lot of water to make a difference in the pool in a weeks time.

Now the question is how to seal this. The grout between the rocks is colored brownish. The pool builder says it is "chocolate" color but I cannot find that concrete/grout color at Home Depot. I got some "brown" but We do have grout in a tube, not sure what color, maybe just grey. In order to use this grout in a tube I guess I need to chip out some of the grout to make it larger and have a chance to hold on there. Or maybe I just want to use clear silicone caulk? I also have 2 part pool epoxy but it is white, I don't know if the concrete color could be added to that to color it.

Does anyone have any advice on this?

Re: maybe leak in waterfall - how to seal- silicone or grout

Take some pictures and show us what the waterfall looks like. The best way to seal water out is to make it so that water doesn't want to get in. For example a roof is not water proof but doesn't leak since the shingles are overlapped and the water comes from above. Regardless it may be an expensive fix but plast-aid can be tinted to any color with acrylic paint.

Re: maybe leak in waterfall - how to seal- silicone or grout

I can do that. Tonight I am doing a bucket test while running the waterfall for 14 hours to simulate a week of normal operation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.