Pool Pilot DIG220 new box in June, now 0ppm add 625 lbs salt

Jun 26, 2011
Ok, I had to replace the power supply box back in June because 4 capacitors had domed and one exploded. $581 later.

Now, I have been getting an intermittant flashing red light, 0ppm, and add 625 pounds of salt.

I had a new cord from the new box and it made no difference.

I cleaned the tri-sensor contacts with electrical contact cleaner and they are clean.

I am about to pull the tri-sensor out. I assume that the tri-sensor senses TEMP, FLOW and SALT level, correct? I have heard that the salt sensor can be dirty so I will clean it.

Does anyone know if I can test the salt sensor? Can I put an ohm meter on the salt sensor? Does anyone have the pinout?

Any ideas?, box it new, cord is new.

Anyone think its worth me removing the box and checking to make sure that the tri-sensor socket is soldered to the circuit board good?

Re: Pool Pilot DIG220 new box in June, now 0ppm add 625 lbs

ok, removed the tri-sensor,
NOTE, DO NOT TWIST tri-sensor to remove it, back it out straight, the flow sensor can get bent / damaged... (I fixed it the flow sensor it got slightly bent)

Anyway, there are two black paddles that appear to be the salt probes. I did not see any scale, but when I cleaned them with a rag, they shined up nice and black, they were cloudy or hazy looking.

Reinstalled everything, and recalibrated the SALT to 3200 per test, (it read 5600, but that makes sense, because I was only able to raise/calibrate it to 1100 when it was not functioning right, so now that it was working, it read 5600, make sense?)

It has been running now for 10 minutes and no red light.

Could those black paddles being slightly hazy have caused this?, I made NO other changes...

Thanks in advance for any ideas, Mike

Well it was too good to be true, its been three hours and the red light started flashing, add 226 pounds of salt, then it dropped to 167 pounds of salt, then back up to 226 pounds of salt...

I went in to the Maintenance menu and it stated that my salt was 2200 (three hours ago, I set it to 3200). I bumped it up and it would only go up to 3100, so I calibrated it to 3100 and exited the menu.

Does anyone know what is going on and why?

Is this the box or the tri-sensor?, as I noted the box is new since June, the tri-sensor is about 3 1/2 years old.

FWIW my Tri sensor went out in less than 3 years the main box made it maybe 4. You wouldn't be lucky enough to know someone that has one that lives in your area that would let you swap it to see if that is the problem by any chance?

The first thing I would check is the connection where the trisensor cord plugs into the main unit. What you describe sounds like a loose connection somewhere.

Thanks Jason, I was hoping what I was describing would give you a clue as to what the problem is.

It has been running for 8 hours, I just went out, no red light, it seems ok. I have checked the connection closely at the tri-sensor, will check very closely at the power supply and let you know what I find. Thanks

Dalandlord said:
FWIW my Tri sensor went out in less than 3 years the main box made it maybe 4. You wouldn't be lucky enough to know someone that has one that lives in your area that would let you swap it to see if that is the problem by any chance?

Actually, my neighbor has the same unit, I will ask him if I can do a temporary swap if I am unable to track down a loose connection, good idea, Thanks

Hurricane is coming, did not look at it today, I have it on boost to make some chlorine, no red light today, it seems to be better than it was for some reason, maybe this is a bad connection someplace...

I think I have figured out what the problem is. When it states that its OFF and to ADD 625 pounds, if I gently twist the connector at the tri-sensor the system begins to operator correctly. Let me be clear, I am not twisting the corrector, I am sort of gently twisting or applying gentle tension, and it begins working.

It's not the cable, I have two cables and both cables have the same result.

Is there a way for me to repair/replace the connector in the tri-sensor. It appears that the tri-sensor is good but the connector is bad.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.