Motor to pool bonding wire ?

Jul 30, 2011
MS
I bonded a #6gauge solid wire from my motor to one of the pool wall bolts' where the wall bolts together...Can this wire be buried or installed inside of some flexible pvc or should i use solid wire with a coating...I just have it running from the pool back across the ground to the motor...We fixing to put some stones around the pool and use small rocks or some type of mulch ..thanks

Hi:

My first Post.

We have an inground indoor and the thick guage copper wire connects the SSC handrails, diveboard supports, underwater SAM light, heater, and metal conduit around the switches and ozone generator to the pump. It is uncoated bare wire and it is entombed under the concrete patio, under the styrofoam insulation supporting the PEX in-floor tubing. It rests on the sand under everything. The pool and all hardware was installed professionally. Sorry, but I don't know the guage thickness.

-For what it's worth. :wave:

Jim (Pickinator)
Eagle River Wisconsin

The wire should be bare and connected to ANYTHING metal in your pool like handrails, ladders, etc. as well as the pool walls.

It should not be insulated in any way as the idea is for it to stay in contact with ground.

"It should not be insulated in any way as the idea is for it to stay in contact with ground."
It is not grounding the metal as an electrical system is grounded, it is creating a means for all metal parts to be of equal potential relative to one another , not to the ground/earth (bonding not grounding). Some areas require a water bond as well (a metal fitting with a bonding lug, that is connected into the filter system).

bob22 said:
"It should not be insulated in any way as the idea is for it to stay in contact with ground."
It is not grounding the metal as an electrical system is grounded, it is creating a means for all metal parts to be of equal potential relative to one another , not to the ground/earth (bonding not grounding). Some areas require a water bond as well (a metal fitting with a bonding lug, that is connected into the filter system).

+1

Like in a car system, not so much a ground, but a common.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.