Intex 2650 sand filter/pump with solar panels???

BBBliever

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 2, 2011
Central Califorina
Has anybody heard of an Intex 2650 sand pump/filter supporting the use of solar panels. I was considering the combined 2650 with SWCG but am concerned it wont work with one or two 4x20 solar panels. The panels would be placed close to the hieght of the returns maybe 4 to 5 feet above ground. Also with the SWCG feeding into the solar panels would the superchlorinated water degrade the plastics. Thanks for any thoughts.

Although, I have no direct experience with that pump, my neighbor has the 1600 gph pump/sand filter (I picked it up in the walmart swg/gift card deal...thanks BBBeleiver). For fun I hooked that one up to my panels up on the roof ~16 feet up and it worked, or should I say I had water coming back to the pool, did not run it long, so I don't know if all 4 of my panels were getting flow etc. I have a two speed 1 hp pump, when it is on low and my filter is close to needing to be cleaned, I will get 0 flow. Even with the filter clean my 2 speed on low does not use all of my parrellel tubes in my panels (I have two going out and 2 going back), I basically get flow only to the first panel on the way out, and I constantly get bubbling in the pool (seems kind of like vapor lock at times). The 1600 was definitely better than my 2 speed on low.

Thanks for the input, 16 feet is impressive. I am very happy with the intex 1600. I just found the Intex 2650 with SWCG on ebay for $220, great price as it can go for around $400.

If i was able to run a panel or two close to ground level with the 1600 that would be wonderfull. Another benefit with my unintegrated system is I could place the SWCG after the solar panels assuming it gave enough flow to support the SWCG.

The 1600 uses half the energy of the 2650 so is all things were even I would prefere to run the 1600 twice as long for better skimming.

What size/type pool do you have again? I am almost sure that 2 panels on the ground with the 1600 will still give you enough flow for your (non-integrated yeah) swg. I have been really impressed with the 1600, I think it would be a fine back-up system for my pool (I would have to experiment more with the 4 panels up on the roof).

I have a 12" round 2000 gallon my summer escapes pool. This was perfect for my 3 y/o daughter to gain confidence and learn to swim in. She is a fish now and I am looking up upsize to a 16" 5000 gallon intex ultraframe next season.

As I am in central California we have hot summers and mild winters. The solar panels were going to be used to cool the pool in the summer, and warm it in spring/fall. There is no need to close a pool in my climate. I would like to use the solar panels in the winter to keep the pool above the upper 60's. If I can do that I will use the pool as a cold plunge durring my hot tub seasions.

These transitions pools will let me see what my real pool needs are. I am thinking I would use a smaller under 10000 gallon pool more. I could heat in durring the colder seasons with solar easier and afford to use a gas heater when needed.

So far as my kids are small the 2000 gallon has been perfect. For the future I have my eye on a Radiant Metric pool that I could do semi inground and burry half of the 52 inch wall height. I like the Radiant pool as it is fully lined with 2 inch EPS foam that would help with heating in the winter.

I did the same as you, started with a smaller pool to see how I liked the maintenance etc.

Even at 5000 gallons, the 1600 is more than enough for that pool. I think the 2560 would be overkill.

How cold does it get there in the winter? I like the idea of having the sides of the pool insulated.

Durring the coldest part of the winter our average day temps are in the low 50's with night's in the low 40's. A freeze here is considered a light frost on the roof or grass in the morning and that happens half a dozen times a winter when the temp drops to about 30 for a few hours in the early morning.

I think the Radiant Metric pool would really extend my swimming season. Along with the insulated walls I would install the pool on sheets of 2 inch EPS foam, put a good cover on it and I would have a large hot tub.

I might try to hook a solar panel up to my 2000 gallon pool with my intex 1600. I know the panels are cheap, around $200. How difficult was plumbing it? What extra expenses would I be looking at to put one 4x20 next to my pool.

BBBliever said:
I might try to hook a solar panel up to my 2000 gallon pool with my intex 1600. I know the panels are cheap, around $200. How difficult was plumbing it? What extra expenses would I be looking at to put one 4x20 next to my pool.
You can start by just running it while it is laying on the ground (though it will kill the grass underneath quickly if you stop circulating through it while the suns out). One panel should heat up your pool fast. They are easy to hook up. If you have some 1.5" flexible pipe around, most panels have 1.5" nipples. It goes after the filter, but before the swg. Long term with your future pool, you might want a stand to angle it towards the sun, or put it on a roof.

BBBliever said:
I think the Radiant Metric pool would really extend my swimming season. Along with the insulated walls I would install the pool on sheets of 2 inch EPS foam, put a good cover on it and I would have a large hot tub.
That does sound good, how much do they run?

I will have to start a separate thead about the solar panel. I definitely want to try it. Should make a big difference with 2000 gallons of water.

Radiant metric makes 5 round pools from 18 to 33 feet starting just under $5000. They also have a Grecian style AGP and inground vinyl. All are made from dual aluminum walls with foam sandwiched between. All pools come with a transferable lifetime warranty. The AGP can be completely burried although excavation would be pricey.

I'm also looking at the sharkline matrix. I would prefere a semi-inground.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.