CE error on Hayward H250

jonmar

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 29, 2009
Last night we had a huge thunder storm. By this morning all had cleared away and I turned my heater on, and put in my navigator to clean the pool. Throughout the day, I noticed several electronic devices have been damaged by a power surge, including three TVs, a receiver and a treadmill. The heater has heated the water but now displays a CE error message. I hit the key pad to standby and it turned off after a few minutes, not right away as it should have.
Could this have been caused by a power surge as well?

CE indicates a Communications Error between the ignition control board and the display board. First, try removing and then reconnecting power to the heater. Second, check the wiring to make sure that it is securely connected. If one and two don't work, you might have to replace the ignition control board and/or display board.

Note: For safety, heaters should only be repaired by qualified people.

JamesW said:
CE indicates a Communications Error between the ignition control board and the display board. First, try removing and then reconnecting power to the heater. Second, check the wiring to make sure that it is securely connected. If one and two don't work, you might have to replace the ignition control board and/or display board.

Note: For safety, heaters should only be repaired by qualified people.

Thanks for the reply. I turned off the power to the heater, which is located on the side of my house. When I turn it back on, after a few seconds the CE message returns. What is the typical cost of this type of repair? I need to know whether or not it is worth it to make a claim on my insurance. Although the other damaged electronics will likely be enough to make it worth it.

Due to all of the other damage caused by the electrical surge, I would think that the boards are most likely bad and need to be replaced. However, that can only be determined by a service call to evaluate the heater. You might be able to get a free estimate if the service company thinks that they will get the repair work, or you might have to pay for a service call to get an estimate.

JamesW said:
Due to all of the other damage caused by the electrical surge, I would think that the boards are most likely bad and need to be replaced. However, that can only be determined by a service call to evaluate the heater. You might be able to get a free estimate if the service company thinks that they will get the repair work, or you might have to pay for a service call to get an estimate.

Went out this morning to turn it on and take a picture of the panel and error message for insurance. Turned on like normal and fired up. I could not get this result yesterday and tried at least 5 times. Any idea why the intermittent error?

You are likely seeing the result of moisture build up on terminals on the heater boards. You noticed it immediately after storms and after a few days it went away when the moisture evaporated. It is also possible that the boards may have been damaged by the surge you mention, but only a technician who knows this heater will be able to say for sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.