Any experience with epoxy grout on tile counter of BBQ?

Sep 12, 2008
Just finished tiling my BBQ and now am looking into various options for grout:
1) Epoxy grout - Hear it is bullet proof, especially for outdoor use. Not sure of the texture and it is expensive.
2) Standard sanded grout with sealer mixed in - Hear with the sealer you mix into the grout that it wont need to be re-sealed. Cheaper and easier to work with.
3) Standard sanded grout sealed after install - Probably the worst option because will need to be re-sealed year after year.

Anyone out there have any experience with these options and how well they held up over time?

Is the expense of the Epoxy grout worth it?

Attachments

• BBQTiledWeb.jpg
    BBQTiledWeb.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 222
Well, the consensus came back that epoxy grout was the way to go...so that is the way I went. I got a product called CEG Lite from the Big Orange store. I must admit I was a bit nervous about what to expect but when I started working with it, it was a lot like normal grout. Then I came to the backsplash and got a bit overzealous. I applied the grout about half way down and realized it was starting to set up. It was amazing how quickly it went from going on just fine to getting firm and very difficult to work with. I was able to scramble and get the backsplash wiped down with a lot of elbow grease, but it was rough there for a bit. I mixed up the second bucket to finish it off and it was much easier going with a fresh batch. I wish I knew that it setup so quickly and I wouldn't have worked such a large area. Oh well, all is done now and I am very pleased with the results. We had a decent rain the other night and the water just runs right off of the grout. Here is a pic of the final product.

Attachments

• BBQDone.jpg
    BBQDone.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 188
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.