Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcium for Vinyl pools???

1. Back To Top    #1

Calcium for Vinyl pools???

Okay I thought I finally had it but just read the current months newsletter and now I'm confused again.

I thought Calcium was a non issue for vinyl lined pools, but in the article about saltwater chlorine generators and stone degradation under Myth 1 fact B you write "Low pH levels can etch plaster and damage vinyl liner pools". Is this true?

I successfully made it through my first year with very low calcium. Can I continue to do so? I know pool equipment generally recommends the addition of calcium, but this site generally dismisses that statement for vinyl lined pools.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
    -400 sq ft ingroung Fiji (straight back kidney) ~ 13,500 gallons - Vinyl Liner - 3 to 6 Feet
    -Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump
    -Hayward Perflex DE Filter EC65A
    -Hayward H 250 Heater

2. Back To Top    #2
    Low PH (acid/base) will damage vinyl but that is not the same as low CH (calcium hardness). Low CH is fine in a vinyl pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Calcium for Vinyl pools???

So far going into my third year with low Calcium and no issues therefore I tip my hat to you.

On a different but same note ; how about low calcium for pool equipment, specifically gas heaters? Is this okay? I remember reading somewhere that not keeping proper pool chemistry can void a Hayward warranty. Calcium was on the chart for proper levels.
    -400 sq ft ingroung Fiji (straight back kidney) ~ 13,500 gallons - Vinyl Liner - 3 to 6 Feet
    -Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump
    -Hayward Perflex DE Filter EC65A
    -Hayward H 250 Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Calcium for Vinyl pools???

How long is your warranty for? If the warranty calls for a specific level, than adhere to it of course.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com