Lowering TA, Just making sure I'm doing it correctly.

Mar 17, 2010
Well my PH and TA have been getting high, so I've decided to do something about it finally. Ive never had to lower TA so i just want to check that i'm doing ti correctly. Today's test results were:

FC 5
CH 250
TA 250
PH 8.2
CYA 20

So according to what I've read, I've got about 4 gallons of MA, and the LPS told me to only dose about 2 qts at a time. I've made 2 DIY pvc aerators. I just put in the first dose of MA and i'm gonna wait about a half hour to check the ph again.

It's my understanding that i should only add more MA once the ph reaches about 7.6 again correct? Anything else i should know or am missing?

I am assuming you have read: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/lowering total alkalinity?

Basically use poolcalculator.com to calculate how much MA will bring your pool down to 7.2 pH. Then slowly pour the MA in front of the return. Aerate to raise pH up to 7.8, then repeat and lower to 7.2, repeat, repeat, repeat, until you reach your target TA level.

By the way, your ph is probably higher than 8.2 (limits of most tests), so your first dose may not lower as far as you are expecting.

2 qts is barely going to touch things. And you may also be above 8.2 - that's as high as the tester reads. You could be at 8.5 or beyond!

Plug the numbers into Pool Calculator. All the numbers. It will give you the dosage to achieve the results you want. MA dosage will vary depending upon the TA level, so be sure to enter all the numbers. I recommend prediluting the acid in a bucket of water then pour it slowly in front of a return so it mixes fast. A few passes with the brush will also stir things up nicely.

When I went after TA, I dropped pH to 7.0, aerated it for a couple hours, then retested pH and plugged the numbers in to get back to 7.0. No point waiting to get up to 7.6 (You might not have to wait long anyway) as it works faster at low pH.

ok great thanks for the help...

Just tested again and ph is at about 7.2, I'll just keep re-calculating and watching it. Seems as though you should add more MA as soon as PH rises back correct? No reason to wait 8 hours in between doses?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.