Proper and best Chlorine level test?

Aug 5, 2011
OK to come and find out there are 2 ways to test your combined chlorine levels, one way is to add 10ml to the Taylor K2006 tester and then add 2 scoops of DPD powder swirl and then add 871 reagent till it turns clear counting every 2 drops as 1ppm of free chlorine, now you add 5 drops of reagent 0003 to recolor the sample if combine chlorine is present if it turns pink of course 871 is used and for every drop it would be 0.5ppm of CC. Now my question stems from the Texas state limits which states 0.2 is the limits for pools, so I thought well heck i test and get .5 on every one drop, till I read the hand booklet with my test kit and noticed I can test a water sample of 25ml in the same manner and the 871 drops would count as .2 for every 1 drop. Now my question is that when I test with 25 ml in the tester I get a different result it isn't much less but its almost always .4-.6 lower then when I test with 10ml is there a reason for this and which is the best way to test 10 ml or 25 ml? Any suggestions or comments will be taken as constructive knowledge for me .

Most people use the 10 ml sample as do I. The accuracy of the test i believe is +or - 1 drop which should be more than adequate for any of us and is much more economical than using the 25ml sample . Also are you aware you can use just 1 scoop of powder as long as it turns pink it doesn't change the accuracy at all. I use the FAS-DPD exclusively and most would say it is overkill and completely unnecessary and i would have to agree but i don't mind the small additional cost and i don't even own an OTO test anymore.

fsteve65 said:
Yes one scoop is sufficient and does not affect the accuracy as long as it turns pink you have used enough.

Actually it must have SOME undissolved powder in the vial after swirling. One heaping spoon is usually enough but if FC levels are expected to be high then you want to add extra so you are sure there is a bit left after swirling.

A bit too much is just enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.