Wanting to convert from Baquacil to Chlorine

rcroller4711

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 22, 2011
Saint Louis, Missouri
I just registered for Trouble Free Pool. I am trying to get use to the website. I bought a 18' round pool in April and was talked into using the Baquacil system. I have been dissatisfied from the start. I have had 3 pools in my life and all up to this one have been chlorine based. I really don't know why I changed, my bad. I have found help on this website on converting and I want to become a TFP supporter. I will do that in the near future. Looking forward to any support I can get on the conversion I will do next year when opening the pool up.

Welcome to TFP!

There are many people here who will be happy to support you during your conversion. Presumably you have already read the conversion instructions in Pool School and read through some other people's conversion experiences?

You might have time to convert this season still. Depends on your weather I suppose. Looks like the last conversion here took about 8 days to get to clear and sparkly, ready for CYA. Not bad. And if you're the actual owner you'll have more opportunities to maintain chlorine than Leebo (TFP's most recent convert) has had since the pool he's converting is his Inlaw's pool.

As the one who most recently switched, I'd 100% suggest making the change. The swap really isn't much more difficult that a bad case of algae.....just this will take MUCH more time. You already know the benefits of chlorine, and how much easier it should be. This is something that I'm still about to learn. As "JasonLion" stated, there are several members on the board that will help you through the steps, and enjoy watching your progress.

DO IT DO IT DO IT!

Thanks for the support. We live in Missouri so in the past I would close the pool up right before the leaves start dropping, around mid September. I think I will just fight through the rest of this summer with the Baq. :hammer: and start fresh in the spring with the chlorine. :cheers: Usually we open up around early May. This will give me plenty of time to get all the bleach I will need. :goodjob:

You will run out eventually.....but shouldn't have the need to order about 90% of the kit for the swap. I would HIGHLY suggest you order the XL option when you order. They will send you two bottles of the R-0870 and the R-0871. These two are used to test the chlorine in the pool. I am down to enough supplies for about two or three more tests on this one. You will be in need of this one way before all the others. Also, if you're like me I would suggest ordering one or two of the spoons. Mine has got wet a few times due to MY carelessness and I've had to clean out the case a few times due to this issue. Order a few extra and keep them in a dry bag somewhere in the kit, this way you can just rotate to the next one if they do happen to get wet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I really like your new look. It is quite an upgrade. It is the end of March and getting closer to my conversion this year. I just ordered the TF-100 and thinking it's about time for looking for bleach sales. I would like to possible start this conversion around mid April. It's probably a little sooner that I'd like but I would like to get it done before May when our Maple starts shedding helicopters. Last year I swam in the pool maybe 5 times. Every time I would go in and would swim under water I would get a congestion filled sinus by the evening. It was miserable. I love the smell of chlorine. I have been reading all the threads I can on conversions from you website. They have been very helpful. I will take pictures and post them. What is the best way to get the pics from my cell phone to your website? Stay tune for the start around mid April.

We were using baquacil for 4 years...my son always had the same problem with his sinuses too. I found this website and read it for a couple of years but kept putting it off because I was intimidated by the process....how sill I was!!! This year I took the plunge and it was so easy! Just follow all of the guides laid out and you won't be sorry. We are all enjoying our pool now. My son is in it all the time! Our pool is 7000 gallons and it took roughly a week.
qy2eme9u.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.