Hurricane Preparation - Pool Fence?

lambo

Oct 1, 2010
Virginia Beach, VA
All -

Thanks again for the wonderful help I received here. My family has been enjoying our crystal clear pool all season- my two little girls especially. In fact, because my wife is a teacher, she becomes the 'pool girl' during the summer while she is off of work, which means I get to come home from work and just enjoy it!

So new question. I searched and read through the five or so threads on hurricane preparation without much luck. I live in Virginia Beach and Hurricane Irene looks like she is going to make an appearance this weekend. I intend to lower the water level a bit and dump some chlorine, but I know that will do little to help, especially once the power goes out (and it will in my neighborhood - doesn't take much).

My bigger question is the pool fence. We have a fiberglass safety fence installed, posts in concrete with black mesh. I'm wondering if I should remove it so it doesn't get blown away. It takes a lot of effort to pull a post out, and they are all connected to each other with locking pins, but then again hurricanes are strong and that fence cost a pretty penny.

But if I don't have to take it out, that'd be great, I have enough to do.

What do you all think?

John - Thanks for the input. We actually have a few spots in our liner where it has slipped out of the coping, the worst being about a foot long and showing a 3" gap. So they aren't huge, but certainly large enough to allow water behind the vinyl liner. Would that be a concern then? We are expecting up to 9" of rainfall, if not more.

Can the wind blow through the fence or is it solid? If the wind can blow throughout it you should be alright. If it has solid panels that you can easily take off and let the wind blow through that will work too. The wind won't blow down a fence post that has nothing attached to it unless it is so rotten it's about to fall down. If that's the case hope it falls and let the ins co help you get a new fence.

With 9" of rain, the pool will be full unless you drop it quite a bit. It's going to be just about the same situation regardless of what you do.

WestSidePool said:
I would also go ahead and try to pull the liner back into the coping. Start at one side and work around tucking it back in.
Having it exposed like that like you mentioned has the potential of letting water behind it, or more of the liner pull out.

I've tried, believe me I've tried. That thing is stretched TIGHT. In fact, in the corners of the pool, the liner is stretched so tight that it pulls away a little. I can feel an air gap in the corners, almost as if the liner was sized a smidge too small.

The fence is mesh, but tight mesh. Given a strong enough gust, I do think it would catch the wind.

Looks like I get to remove the fence this weekend. Joy!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.