above ground plumbing for inground pool

Diver

May 5, 2011
South of Boston
I bought a house with a pool last year and this is my first season caring for the pool. Majority of this season I’ve been hunting leaks in the pool. And while I’ve been at it I kept thinking that it’s inherently bad design to have all the plumbing buried under soil/concrete with no easy access to inspect and repair the pipes.

I kept thinking what should I do if I do have a leak in one of the pipes and have to cut concrete to get to it. One idea is not to concrete it over once the repairs are done, but rather have some kind of a panel that would cover the slot in the concrete and can be opened if there is a need in the future. Did anyone have something like that done?

A more radical idea would be not to have any pipes underground. This will make maintenance, winterizing and repairs extremely easy. The downside is of course the way it would look.

I was thinking of having a single pipe or even two go partially underground from the pump/filter to the side of the pool. Then there could be a pipe that would circle the perimeter of the pool or some part of it right under the pool coping on the pool side, so it would be lower than the deck level, but still above water. The perimeter pipe would be connected to the pipe from the pump/filter and then it could have short sections of the pipes going down to the water, turn 90 degrees towards the center of the pool and end with return eyeballs. This would be very flexible, the returns could be located anywhere you need them, you can replace them easily at any time and reconfigure if you want. It might be somewhat ugly to somewhat taste or simply not fit into overall look of the pool. Well, just an idea …

Anyone has any pictures or description of anything like that? I read on this forum about temporary above ground piping solutions. I wonder if someone did something more permanent. I would be interested if you have anything to share on this subject.

Not sure about the above ground plumbing idea...but I did see a guy on youtube with a similar situation. He used sand/dirt over the plumbing and topped it off with pavers. That way, even though it would take some work, he could get to it without smashing concrete again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.