Our pool wont hold free chlorine

Jul 11, 2011
Las vegas, NV
We run our salt water pool generator for 4 hrs like it says to in the manual. We have had our pool open for 6 weeks now and can seem to keep all our levels right except that there is never any free chlorine or any of the other chlorine unless we add chlorine to the pool ourselves. The pool is always cloudy (not green). We have tried running the generator for 6 hrs and still nothing. Our salt levels are where they are suppose to be, and my husband made sure the genrator and filter were clean and working. To me the water is always dirty as if the filter isnt working but why can't we get any chlorine in the pool or to stay once we add it???

Frustrated pool mom ! :(

Sounds like you need to shock your pool. Hard to tell exactly what you need to do without accurate test results.

Did you add CYA as well as salt?

I have a 2000 gallon pool with intex sand filter and SWCG. Upgrading your pump/filter would be a wise investment.

My CYA is at 70 ppm and I run my SWCG 2 hours a day with the pump on 4 hours and my water is crystal clear.

Reading Pool School will help you understand that chlorine is consumed by organics (algae) in your pool and that's almost surely your issue.

However, a complete set of test results is about the only way to get you started clearing your pool.

I agree, we need to know if you have any CYA in the pool. Without it, with Vegas sun and heat, you'd be hard-pressed to keep up with demand pouring in bleach all day. As you may have learned already.

If you don't already have a good test kit, get one. I recommend the TF100 with a speedstir. It's what I use, makes testing fast, easy, and accurate. With your own test results, pool calculator, and maybe some advice from here, you'll be able to have perfect water that will be the envy of the neighborhood.

Also, you should be running your SWG based on chlorine test results. The manual really doesn't know what your pool is doing and running it 4 hours may or may not be long enough. Also the % may or may not be high enough to keep up with the chlorine demand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.