LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2011
Northern Maryland (near Delaware)
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I was not prepared to close but wondering if I should close the pool before a Cat 1 Irene is targeting our area Sunday. Or is it safer to let the pool ride it out? Then clean it. My thinking to let it ride out is that the winds may lift the cover or worse throw debris through it, Plus the added weight of all the water I guess gives stability.

Thoughts, this is my first anticipated hurricane and it is a lot after the earthquake heaved us a little today.

There's really not a lot you can do to prepare a pool for a hurricane, other than to make sure any loose (as in not bolted down) items are removed from the yard and are stored in a secure area. With an above ground pool the biggest storm concerns are any debris blown into the pool that tears the liner, and fallen trees crushing the pool walls. I would not leave a soft sided pool up in a hurricane, but a standard "permanent" above ground pool filled with water can withstand very high winds without problem. Covering the pool to protect it from a hurricane is a waste of time.

What you can do ahead of time is be prepared for the clean up. My pool had so much organic debris after Ike that the water turned black within 24 hours after the storm. If your area takes a direct hit you may be without power for several days. I would start with bringing the pool to shock level about a day before the expected landfall. If you lose power after the storm, pour a 96 ounce jug of bleach around the perimeter of the pool and brush well to mix. Use a deep leaf net/rake to scoop the debris off the bottom of the pool. Make sure you have plenty of bleach on hand, a pool brush, and a couple of boxes of plastic garbage bags for debris clean up.

Hurricane here, pumped out about 7 inches of water but it is filled again. I have the lid on the Above ground skimmer an it has a vent hole. Will that let enough overflow out, I powered down the pump at the fuse box and I really don't want to go out there. Or should I just remove the lid altogether and let it run hopefullly down hill? I have a rock surround around the pool encased by 4x4's
I did jack the chlorine up and shocked today before powering down the electric

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.