Got a Smoker! Now what to cook!

Aug 7, 2011
Shreveport, LA
Smoked chicken quarters this past weekend. Wrapped them in foil and it kept all the moisture and seasoning in during the two hour smoke. Worked and tasted great. Wanting to smoke something good for LSU vs. Oregon game coming up soon! Thinking of ribs, brisket, or something like a pork loin...? Any ideas or something I've just gotta' try!?

Thanks!

Pork Ribs are my favorite. I slow cook them on my pit for 4 plus hours. I put black pepper and garlic salt on them, let them sit for about 2 hours then start the pit. I let them slow cook for at least 4 hours and then baste with BBQ sauce. I usually sit around the pool and listen to music while they are cooking. Unfortunately with the insane heat wave we are having it is making it difficult to be outside before 5 pm. I am a warm weather person but this year I can't wait until we get our first little cold front so I can enjoy my back yard oasis again.

I vote pork ribs, make sure they are spares not back (so much better). Cut em up in a St. Louis cut. Low and slow 200-230 F (definitely not above 250), plan on 6-7 hours if you don't Texas Crutch em (i usually don't). Dry rub, sauce on side. Try apple, or alder for smoke...if you don't have those then hickory. Now that you brought it up, I thinking we will have ribs and swim Saturday here. :party:

Leave the top smoke vent open. All the way open. You want the smoke to flow through, around the food, and out. Otherwise your food will taste of creosote.

Kinda ruins the whole smoked food glamour, that taste... seems to stick with you for a long time afterward too. Thus the reason our smoker stayed covered all summer and mostly serves as a floatie holder.

What kind of smoker do you guys have? I use a UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker, aka White Trash Smoker, etc.), I have tried others (more expensive) but my homemade UDS is the best. Definitely keep the top vents open and use the bottom vents for heat control.

If you have a number of people to serve, or if you need to transport the finished product, or if you are still getting a hand on your smoker...then Pork Butt (aka boston butt, aka pork shoulder) is a great choice, you finish it by pulling it...pulled pork. Wonderful when done right, forgiving if temp gets too high, can feed a bunch. Only downside is they butts can take from 8 to 15 hours in my experience to smoke...but smoking is more of a adventure/way of life then a timed event. I just try and pick "small butts" (funny story there) and give myself plenty of time to smoke with the added bonus of good bark to meat ratio. If the butts finish early, you can always put them in foil then in a blanket and then inside a cooler to keep em warm (keep them above 145 F, and you will be food safe) until you are ready to pull the meat. Pull the meat, don't slice, it keeps the juices in the muscle fibers, and your butt will be more moist when you eat it.

...I could talk meat smoking for hours... :blah:

mckay said:
We use a Primo ceramic, made in the good ole USA! :lol:

This thing is amazing, I can make jerky to pizza on it.
Since I am cheap, I have been watching CL for a used Kamado (using that term generic), no luck yet. I would love to have the oblong Primo to start my steaks at 700+. Great smokers too!

CombatYoga said:
Thanks for sharing...I will spend some time on that site soon. Another good smoking recipe site is: http://www.amazingribs.com/

The Primo is lifetime warranty, and so far its been well worth the high initial cost to purchase. I don't think you'll find many Primos or eggs on CL.
Everything I have done on this so far is superb, its not me that's cooking this stuff so well, its the smoker. :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have this smoker>>
images

Its a beginner smoker but worked great so far. Think I might do some pork ribs. thanks for all the ideas. Keem em' coming!

BigT - I cooked some pork ribs this weekend and they got rave reviews so I wanted to share.
I got the recipe from the smoking-meat.com website.
It's called their 3-2-1 rib recipe.

First I put yellow mustard on the ribs and rubbed them down with a dry spice mix from the Rendezvous (famous rib joint in Memphis).
3 hours on the smoker at 225.
Poured Dr. Pepper on them and wrapped in tinfoil - 2 more hours on the smoker.
Unwrapped and did one final hour in the smoker (actually more like 40 mins).

I used oak in my firebox, but set a pan with hickory chips in water in the smoker box along with the meat (steam for moisture).

Unbelievable - best ribs I've ever made by far. Highly recommend this recipe!

Your ribs sound great Combatyoga :cheers:

Were they spares or back ribs?

CombatYoga said:
It's called their 3-2-1 rib recipe.
My personal feeling is the rule for spare ribs should be more like3,1/2,1+. If you foil them too long (by the way foiling ribs is called the "Texas Crutch" and is used by many to win many a competition), I find the ribs become too mushy/fall off the bone with that long in the foil. I love apple juice, especially if I am smoking with apple wood for the crutch. One other reason to not crutch them this long: ribs should not fall off the bone, you should have to gently bite them off, but still have no meat residue on the bone.

CombatYoga said:
First I put yellow mustard on the ribs and rubbed them down with a dry spice mix from the Rendezvous (famous rib joint in Memphis).
Mustard works good as a rub holder, but try doing it with just a straight oil and your favorite rub. I get better "crust" that way.

Here is a link to another great spare rib recipe: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/best_BBQ_ribs_ever.html

Melt In The Sun said:
I say pork shoulder. Really moist and greasy...mmmmmmm....
YES YES YES porkbutt! Like eating a piece of heaven!

Pork shoulder/butt is pretty forgiving in the smoker, you should keep it low and slow (200-250) but if it temp peaks above that, you still have a mass to buffer the change. Choose smaller butts (l like small butts :mrgreen: ) with bone in...you get more crust to meat ratio. Try a "South Carolina" style mustard sauce applied in the bun...not that pulled pork needs that. Ohh...that brings up another great point, dont chop porkbutt, pull it...keeps the juices inside the meat fibers!

linen said:
BigT, by the way...congrats to you on the LSU win...they looked impressive! What did you end up smoking?

Thanks! It was a fun game!

We did some ribs and sausage. I think I had it a little too hot in the beginning but will get the hang of it soon. Problem is that my smoker doesnt have a temp gauge. Thinking of trying to retrofit one in the lid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.