Hayward Super Pump won't turn on

Apr 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I vacuumed the pool without issue, then turned off the pump to clean out the pump basket. I then closed it back up and tried to turn the pump back on and just got a feint hum for a 10 seconds or so, then it went completely silent.

Any ideas what might be going on? It's a Hayward 3/4 HP Super Pump.

linen said:
With the power removed from the pump and the water valves off take out your leaf basket and see if you can reach into the impeller area and see if the impeller (pump vanes) is free/moving?
I was able to turn the impeller, but how "free" is it supposed to be? It didn't just readily spin with the flick of my finger. It only turned if I pushed on it.

linen said:
Try this: when it is humming give the motor housing a rap or two with a piece of wood/hammer handle and see if it starts.
Still no go. Tried a few times and the humming eventually stops after I've smacked it, but I can't tell if the humming stops because I'm hitting it or because it just shuts itself off.

My experience has been (not with this particular motor, but with other motors), if the shaft and impeller move freely, and the motor hums but won't spin up, then it might be the start capacitor. Hopefully someone with this motor/knowledge of this motor can tell you where it is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's most likely the capacitor. Replace that to see if it works. The start capacitor is under the back motor cover. If you have a run capacitor, then it is mounted on top of the motor.

What does the motor label say for "Type"?

Also, how do I know if the capacitor is bad? Here's a photo under the proverbial hood of my pump:

20110824-rxremskh6897xs3mj5je59qw6m.jpg

You can test it with a multimeter or you can just replace it to see it that solves the problem. You could also clean the contacts of the switch (center of picture) to see if that helps.

I think that type “UAC” means capacitor start/capacitor run. The start capacitor is the black cylinder shown in the picture. Is there also a larger Run capacitor mounted on the outside of the motor?

Hayward Super Pump won't turn on - DIFFERENT GUY, SAME PROBL

I'm having the same problem, so I've been watching this thread (and others). I got a new capacitor (just a few minutes ago actually) and installed it. The pump is still making a loud humming noise and won't run. the impeller is totally cleared of debris and spins easily. The pump/motor is only about 2 years old.

Any thoughts on what else it could be?

My pool is turning green and thanks to a recent monsoon is full of sand and other particulate matter. :x

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.