How often do you shock?

htownjeeper

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 8, 2011
Nassau Bay, TX
I know there's no recommended period of time (ie once a week) to shock and it depends on levels. But, how often do you find yourself shocking your pool. Do you notice a pattern?

Wife did a FC/CC test today and reported back levels of 4.5 and 1.0. The panic I felt when I read that text!!! Anyway, I'm walking her through the shock process and we're starting immediately. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed a pattern at all as this is the 2nd time I'm shocking my pool. Was wondering if I could look forward to doing this every 10 days/2wks...

There are people here that never have to schock. It is all about keeping your pool balanced. I have only had to shock twice in the 2 years I have owned the pool. Once was when we moved in and the other was earlier this year because I did not do a good job during the winter.

CC do usually drift, but only from 0-.5 and should not get above that. If it does that seems like a reason to shock. I know in another thread you said you passed the overnight test, but are you sure you tested correctly?

mynewpool said:
I know in another thread you said you passed the overnight test, but are you sure you tested correctly?
Fairly certain I did it correctly. I followed the directions exactly. That was 8 days ago and we have used the pool a ton since then. The CC hasn't been above .5 until this morning. I'm still not 100% sure it is 1.0 because the wife did the test and she is newer at this than I am. The water is still crystal clear, but the 1.0 worries me therefore I made the decision to shock even though I'm not at home.

mynewpool said:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool

pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

Make sure you pass the OCLT

CC is 0.5 or lower;
An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;
And the water is clear.
Thanks for the links. I almost have them memorized though! I'll run a thorough test when I get home. If CC has come down to .5 I will be doing another OCLT tonight.

Dropping below minimum once can cause an algae bloom, even if you can't see it.

Seems like once it starts, it gets ahead of normal chlorine levels very fast and then you see the combined chlorine results.

Handling it immediately makes shocking it a shorter event. Chances are if she shocks it now, maintains all afternoon and into the evening... once you see it stop loosing chlorine an hour after adding it you can try the OCLT. If it passes the OCLT at shock level (plus .5ppm or less CC) you'll be good to go and by noon or so it should be ready for swimming (sun will eat the extra chlorine).

One of the great benefits of having the FAS-DPD test is knowing something is amiss before you ever would without it, well before it gets out of hand. Handling it properly right away makes shocking much less painful.

Since I started with BBB last season I've shocked the pool three times, all due to some kind of mistake on my part. Had to shock once in early spring after a week of sun on a fallen in cover without pumps (did not do OLCT or test, just added a couple bottles of bleach and re-covered it after cleaning debris and the green on the cover was gone. I know, not right but it did no damage.), once upon opening while cleaning debris (cover fallen in again, the pool passed all tests by that evening/next morning), and once when it fell to 0 while I was out looking for my cat one day. I still don't know why a very precisely maintained pool went from being dosed to the high value the night before (then salt added), and then fell to 0 by 6pm the next day, but it absolutely happened that fast. I'm still thinking algae salt... hehe (jk). Testing the morning after adding the salt would have been a good idea, in hindsight. I probably wouldn't have needed to shock if I'd caught the loss before ignoring the pool till 6pm.

All these shocking episodes were very short. TG for a kit that actually tells me what's going on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
All of these replies have me wondering if A) Wife did the test incorrectly or B) I have done something wrong in the last 8 days.

I've been testing everything myself and CC has been .5 (actually I think it has been below because of the color of the test) consistently. I've tested a minimum of twice a day since the OCLT 8 days ago.

Confused.....

htownjeeper...looking back at your other post, I noticed this post I madehttp://www.troublefreepool.com/totally-clueless-any-input-is-appreciated-t37439-80.html#p308409. You probably have not established a pattern yet since you have only had a clear pool for a few days. When you have higher swimmer load, temperature, etc. then you need to watch your levels closely. For example, higher swimmer load would cause me to raise my FC level immediately after swimmers leave the pool (or at least when I get home after they are out) to the top of the normal range. Some here even go up to shock level when the swimmer load is excessive. It takes time to understand ones pool, sounds like you are learning something about yours.

I would redo the CC test when you get home, and if it still reads 1 or higher then shock. If you do have to shock, it should end up being relatively quick compared to the last time.

CYA is at 40. I have been keeping the FC around 4-5 range consistently. I just re-read your post you linked Linen and guess I should be adding to get to 7ppm at night. Also time to think about inching up CYA it appears since it's so sunny and hot here in Houston. After I get this FC/CC in check, does the consensus think I should raise to 50 CYA?

FWIW, I hardly EVER see CC at .5ppm. Almost every CC test I run is completely clear and it was the same before the most recent bloom. In fact, I see more .5ppm CC results now than I did before the bloom but it's only been a couple of weeks. Probably seen it a total of 3 times since then. Most times it's completely clear and I feel like I'm wasting R-0003 even bothering to run it.

If you're always seeing .5ppm CC, I'd call that suspect even though the rules say it's a non-issue. Combine that with a possible fall below minimum... the threshold for algae to bloom is altered perhaps?

I don't think you've done anything wrong. It just is. Shock and reset the pool. You might end up not seeing CC at all after the process is complete.

OK, I now see that you say 4-5ppm maintenance level for chlorine. That can't work with your CYA level unless you're dosing a couple times a day 1-2ppm worth. Does the pool never fall below 3ppm this way? How do you maintain such levels? I dose to 7ppm at night, and the pool is around 4-5ppm the next evening usually. This means I'm loosing 2-3ppm per day, sometimes a little more if there are many swimmers. If your pool reacts anything like mine (at 40ppm CYA) maintaining 4-5ppm would consistently have it falling below 3ppm. Like I said earlier, it really only takes once.

htownjeeper
First, don't sweat it. Sounds like you're doing everything you're supposed to. Bring it to shock and do the OCLT. See what it says in the morning. If your loss is low 1 or less, you're done and move on.

If your wife is not familiar with the test, she might have not added the last drop during the chlorine part of the drop test, which gave your a false high on the CC test. Remember in the you're supposed to add drops until the sample goes completely clear. If it was faintly pink, it could make it so you need to add more more drop on the CC test. Take a look at the extended testing directions step 4 for the test.http://www.troublefreepool.com/extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html
Swirling constantly and counting the number of drops as you go, add R-0871 one drop at a time. Continue adding drops until the color changes to clear. The pink color may become extremely faint before it goes away. Make sure that the sample goes completely clear.

Don't over read into having CC's. .5 or less is fine. CC's are part of the everyday sanitation process, as long as its less then .5 you're good. For example, when I test, its pretty common for the sample to turn a slight blush. I know its way less than .5 CC. Other days, it stays completely clear.

You said you are at 40 CYA and keep it at 5ppm of chlorine. How many ppm do you lose a day?

htownjeeper said:
Also time to think about inching up CYA it appears since it's so sunny and hot here in Houston. After I get this FC/CC in check, does the consensus think I should raise to 50 CYA?
That might work better for you, it would be nice for someone in your area without a a swg to chime in here with what works best for them. No guarantee it would work for you...up here (MN), if I wasn't using a swg, I doubt I would move it up. I would probably just slightly overdose in the morning and see where I am when the sun goes down.

frogabog said:
If you're always seeing .5ppm CC, I'd call that suspect even though the rules say it's a non-issue. Combine that with a possible fall below minimum... the threshold for algae to bloom is altered perhaps?
I probably see a slight pink hue 50% of the time I use the R-0003, which goes away with one drop of the R-0871. Being suspicious, a few times that has happened, I have then raised my FC up towards shock levels and did an OCLT. Each time I lost less than 1 ppm FC and my CC was always <0.5. Not sure if I am missing something, or if the pink tinge going away with 1 drop should be considered normal. I would agree with Puffin that this should be expected.

linen said:
I probably see a slight pink hue 50% of the time I use the R-0003, which goes away with one drop of the R-0871. Being suspicious, a few times that has happened, I have then raised my FC up towards shock levels and did an OCLT. Each time I lost less than 1 ppm FC and my CC was always <0.5. Not sure if I am missing something, or if the pink tinge going away with 1 drop should be considered normal. I would agree with Puffin that this should be expected.

Wouldn't you be suspicious if you ALWAYS saw .5ppm CC? I know I would. I'd likely shock and see if that reduces it to at least 50% of the time. Never seeing 0 CC would cause me some angst...

It dropped down to 1.5ppm FC one day last week and I immediately bumped it back up. I've been trying to maintain at 5 but it has gone down to 2.5 and 3 over the last week. Sounds like I need to shoot for 7 at night and let it fall down to 4 or so the next day? Am I understanding right?

frogabog said:
linen said:

Wouldn't you be suspicious if you ALWAYS saw .5ppm CC? I know I would. I'd likely shock and see if that reduces it to at least 50% of the time. Never seeing 0 CC would cause me some angst...
After reading about all of you with 0 CC's, yes, I am suspicious.

Don't worry, we're in the middle of shocking as we speak. She's adding bleach and checking every two hours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.