Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about pumps

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about pumps

Is it ok to use a pump made for an inground pool on an AG? i want to get a variable speed pump and the only one I found is for inground pools. Seems like all the cool pumps are for inground pools. What's the diff?
    Wilbar 12 x 17 Buttress Free AG (~4400 Gal?)
    Hayward 225 sq ft cartridge filter
    1/2 HP Pentair Whisperflo
    Liquidator chlorine feeder
    Pool Rover Jr.
    BBB - it's the way to go

2. Back To Top    #2
    Yes, you can use an in ground pump on an above ground pool but not the other way around. Above ground pumps are not usually self priming. They depend on the pump being below the water level. In ground pumps are able to prime even when the pump is several feet above the water.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Does the same rule hold true for cartridge filters? I ask because I found a sweet deal on a large capacity cartridge filter (hayward swimclear 225 sq ft) but it's for an inground application.
    Wilbar 12 x 17 Buttress Free AG (~4400 Gal?)
    Hayward 225 sq ft cartridge filter
    1/2 HP Pentair Whisperflo
    Liquidator chlorine feeder
    Pool Rover Jr.
    BBB - it's the way to go

4. Back To Top    #4
    It doesn't make any difference to the filter if it is an in-ground pool or an above ground pool. The only difference is going to be the connectors that you hook up the pipe/hose to. And if you have any issues with connectors there are adapters available for every possible combination.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School