Precast coping install on polymer wall

May 24, 2011
I just had polymer wall pool installed and have a few questions regarding the patio installation. The pool shape is free form. Patio will be pavers and precast coping from Techo Bloc. I will be using the Techo Bull Nose for the coping and the 60 mm Techo Blu for the pavers.
The question I have is about the coping install. I was told to install a bond beam around the pool to support the coping, which makes sense since the wall of the pool is only about 3” wide and the bull nose is about 12” wide. Assuming I cantilever the bull nose 2” over the pool edge that leaves 10” that require support. In the current configuration that would be 3” by the polymer wall and the remaining 7” by the bond beam. I don’t want the bull nose to rest on the liner receiver which is about 3/8” taller than the polymer wall.
This is where I could use some guidance. I plan to pour the grade beam so that it is about 1/8” higher than the liner receiver and 3/8” higher than the pool wall. Bull nose will be installed level. My question is attachment of the bull nose to the bond beam/pool wall system. I figure I have 2 options.
1) Build the bond beam height so that it is 1/8” taller than the liner receiver and ½” taller than the top of the pool wall. Install ½” plastic shims screwed into the polymer wall top. To set the bull nose I would use thinset grout to adhere to the bond beam and construction adhesive to adhere to the plastic shim. My concern with this method is that it’s a bit more difficult to build and I question the adhesion between the construction adhesive and the paver and the plastic shims.

2) Build the bond beam height so that it is 1/8” taller than the liner receiver and ½” taller than the top of the pool wall. To set the bull nose I would use thinset grout to adhere to the bond beam and ½” of modified thinset grout to adhear to the top of the pool wall. My concern with this method is that the thinset over the pool wall is only ½” thick and is on a somewhat flexible surface as compared with the bond beam. Will it fail at this location.
Once complete I would grout the joints with Laticrete spetralock grout and the joint between the bottom of paver and the liner receiver would be caulked with urethane sealant. Pavers are on a sub base of between 6-16” dense grade and will have a 1” setting bed of course sand. The joint between the paver and bull nose will be approx. ½” wide and will be sealed with urethane sealant.
The pool has a salt water system in place so any product I use needs to be able to stand up to the salt. I’m open to suggestions and materials that work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.