To change my ph or not ?

Jan 5, 2008
Dallas TX
Hello,
My PH recently went from 7.6 to 7.8 (in the last week).
My Alkalinity went from 90 to 80.
CYA is 40, CHA 330
FC = 0.5, CC=0

Should I add some muriatic acid to take down the ph to 7.6, or should I leave it and worry about it in the summer ?
I live in TX and my pool runs 365 days a year, it is not heated so we swim in it only in the summer.

Thanks

Hi, my first thought is that you may have a SWCG or something to cause airation, but the sudden rise in pH and subsequent lowering of alk is a bit puzzling (who am I kidding, a slow rise in pH and drop in alk is puzzling to me :p )

I don't believe you have any saturation problems and will say to let it be for now, however DO keep an eye on the pH and alk and report back if you get any more ~ large shifts.

Summer is approaching more quickly than we realize, perhaps you won't need to do much to the pool before the temps are swimmable :-D

waste said:
Hi, my first thought is that you may have a SWCG or something to cause airation, but the sudden rise in pH and subsequent lowering of alk is a bit puzzling (who am I kidding, a slow rise in pH and drop in alk is puzzling to me :p )

I don't believe you have any saturation problems and will say to let it be for now, however DO keep an eye on the pH and alk and report back if you get any more ~ large shifts.

Summer is approaching more quickly than we realize, perhaps you won't need to do much to the pool before the temps are swimmable :-D
Thanks for the tip.
I will keep you updated.
Another quick question: Should I add some more chlorine? If so then how much ?

As long as you maintain the .5fc and have no cc, I wouldn't worry about adding more cl. Again, keep track of your chemistry and (it being winter) only add what you need to to keep the pool clean and ready to swim in when the weather and water allow :wink:

Here's waiting for that day that you can swim again :cheers:

The test for TA is +-10, so the level might have stayed the same rather than gone down. It is mysterious even so, rising PH should have increased the TA just a little.

I would double check the PH the next day and if it is still high bring it back down a little.

If the water temperature is below 50 degrees I wouldn't worry about chlorine too much, but if it is above 50 degrees I would add chlorine to a FC of 2.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.