High and climbing PH

Jul 10, 2011
Rockwall, TX
Pool Size
Hey y'all I am trying to figure out why my ph keeps going up. Usually every week my ph gets to 8+. I add MA and get it back down to +- 7.4 and up it goes again.
The pool looks great and hasn't had any issues since I added the SWG about a month and a half ago.
Pool is salt 30k gal with a dolphin cleaner.
Test results are from this morning.

FC- 6.0 (it was 0 last night because I was out of town, added 1.5 gal bleach and superchlor 13hrs on SWG)
CC- .5
PH- 8+
TA- 140
CH- 230
CYA- 80
No borates

Do I need to keep adding MA or could it be something else?

Thanks in advance.

Your pH is climbing because your TA is high. The recommend TA range for a salt water pool is 60-80. I had the same problem with my pool.

Once your pH climbs to 7.8 or higher, add muriatic acid to bring the pH down to 7.2. Over time, this will lower your TA, and eventually you'll find a TA level where your pH adjustments are minimal. My TA is now at 90 (was over 200), and my pH stays stable at about 7.6.

I had trouble with rising pH. I used MA and aeration to lower the TA (from150 to 60), then added borates (50 ppm). The pH stays stable at 7.4 for a very long time, then one day it's 7.6 and I add a little acid.

The combination of a lower TA and borates has done wonders.

Keep adding, it will come down. It takes a while but it will fall. Is your fill water pH high? If you are aerating a lot that adds to pH rise. Most pools tend to climb in pH. Use the pool calculator and be careful with the acid. You have a ways to go to get your TA down for the SWG. Rember to target 7.4-7.5 on pH, lower when you get back to 7.8.

Welcome to TFP by the way.

However, once you get the TA low enough to stabilize the pH at a reasonable value, it may not stay there. If your fill water has high TA, then every time you add water, the TA creeps up a bit. With high TA fill water (mine is 340) one just has to get used to the nearly constant addition of MA.

Unless you're at risk for scaling (which I don't think you are based on your test results), high TA alone is not a problem. If I were you, I would not bother with aeration. I would just measure pH daily and lower with MA as needed. Eventually your TA will come down and your MA additions will become less frequent. This sort of problem takes care of itself.

You can force TA to change by acid & aeration but you get to the same place so much easier just adding MA to lower pH to 7.2 and letting it rise on its own, redoing that when it gets to 7.8 again.

faby3003 said:
Unless you're at risk for scaling (which I don't think you are based on your test results), high TA alone is not a problem. If I were you, I would not bother with aeration. I would just measure pH daily and lower with MA as needed. Eventually your TA will come down and your MA additions will become less frequent. This sort of problem takes care of itself.

But he has a SWG. That changes the game on TA. It must be lower for that type of pool.

Brushpup said:
But he has a SWG. That changes the game on TA. It must be lower for that type of pool.

Yeah, but it will still get there by going slowly. It doesn't have to be done fast. It can be. Just depends on how much you want to mess with the pool. If the aeration is easy to manage, fine. Run that fountain or whatever. But one does not have to rush it or go out and buy or make a bunch of stuff. This one is optional. Just manage the pH and the TA eventually goes down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
anonapersona said:
Brushpup said:

Yeah, but it will still get there by going slowly. It doesn't have to be done fast. It can be. Just depends on how much you want to mess with the pool. If the aeration is easy to manage, fine. Run that fountain or whatever. But one does not have to rush it or go out and buy or make a bunch of stuff. This one is optional. Just manage the pH and the TA eventually goes down.

I was strictly speaking about high TA in a SWG pool. I said nothing about rushing to do it or buying anything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.