Running Filter 24/7 = $732 electric bill :(

Apr 25, 2011
Oh my. Inground SWG pool was finished in early June.

August electric bill is off the charts. First question they asked me is... "do you have a pool?"

I have been running the pump 24/7, since June. That was recommend by my pool guy and the inspector.

The reason the August bill is so high is that July was an "estimated" bill. August was an "actual" reading. So I underpaid for July, but still....it has NEVER been this high.

My pool is super clean, but could I get the same effect running is less?

I get FULL sun ALL day. Is 8 hours at night ok, or should I run it during the day?

I had my SWG running at 35%, but that was with pump running 24/7. If I only run the pump 8 hours a day, should I up the SWG to 100%, so it runs 100% of the time for 8 hours?

Thanks!

According to Pool School, your pool only needs one complete turn over in a day.

You are correct about adjusting your SWG higher when you lower pump run time. And the cooler the water the less the pump needs to run.

I like you was told when i had it installed to run mine 24/7, but since I've been on here I've learned otherwise. I also have full sun all day. I run my pump on a timer for about 11 hours and SWG at 30-40% it seems to keep it clean. Each pool is different so you'll have to mess around and find your pools happy spot.
I'm lazy and never went the extra route of figuring if i could run it less

Her info is in her sig but it's so small that you can't read it.

Here it is big enough to see.
30k gallon ~ 48' x 20' Roman Style Gunite
ColorScapes Quartz Plaster
SWG (SmartPure Sanitizer II)
AquaCal Heatwave HQ155
1.65 HP Hayward SmartMax Pump
450 Sq./Ft. Hayward SwimClear Cartridge Filter

You would definitely benefit from running it less. Check and see if it's a 2-speed. Switching speeds will help a lot too.

I have a 30k gallon pool also just built 2 months ago. I only run my 2 variable speed pumps from 11am-8pm. It gets full sun all day also. The only thing I check regularly is just the pH and chlorine. You might consider solar power, I have a 4.5kW 22 sharp panels on my roof which helps bring my electricity bill down to $5/month.

pool3.jpg

Thanks for your replies!

I feel like an idiot, though. How do I know if the pump is variable or 2 speed?

There was small print thatexplains how to change it from high voltage to low voltage, but not sure if that has anything to do with being 2 speed.

It has Blue Haven all over it, but it is a Hayward Smart Max Pump 1.5 HP.

Allowing for some inefficiency, 1.5HP is about 1200W or 1.2KW. That means you'll use approximately 28.8KW-H per day, or roughly 865KW-H per month.

The average electric rate in Florida for July was about $0.12 per KW-H meaning running your pump 24/7 should add a little over $100 to your monthly bill.

Yea, definitely experiment with shorter run times. Like the pool school article westsidepool linked start with a 12 hour run time, see how that goes. If the pool still looks good, try shortening it again, say to 8hours, if that works, then shorten again. With trial and error, you'll find the right amount of run time, to keep your pool looking great but use the least amount of electricity. In your case its a bit more complex because of the SWG and heat pump settings will probably need to be tweaked.

Do you have tiered electrical pricing? If so, run your equipment when its the cheapest. This will help you to save some money.

Post some pictures of the Pump's placard or provide the make/model number of the pump we'll be able to help you find out if its 2speed or not. Alternatively, you can ask your pool builder since he just finished the build a month ago.

2 speed pumps, have a low speed, that runs the pump slower (taking longer to filter the water) but uses considerably less electricity to do it. If you do have a 2 speed, follow the same process for determining run time, just start with 24 hours, then work your way down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am seriously considering solar panels!

You're not crazy...your right! My pump is not listed in Haywards site. It's odd. It has Hayward logo embedded in the plastic in 2 places...it as A.O. Smith as the maker of the pump...then stickers all over calling it "Blue Haven SmartMax Star Pump."

Here is a link to it... http://bluehaven.com/smart-features/smartmax-pump-motor Model #SP3210X15B

It looks like Hayward allows Blue Haven to market it as their own.

I found it here on Amazon it says "2-speed motor technology"... http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP3210X15-TriStar-Rate-2-Horsepower/dp/B00268D3EY

oh...now what should I do?

That model number (SP3210X15B) most closely matches the Hayward TriStar, which comes in a one-speed (SP3210X15) and a two-speed (SP3210X152).

http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/literat ... SS10_5.pdf

I think that the "B" stands for Blue Haven. I think that if it were the two-speed, then the model number would be SP3210X152B. If you could post all of the information from the motor label or a picture of the label, that would help.
Tristar.jpg

TriStar

The TriStar looks a lot like the Max-Flo II.

MaxFlo-II-w_unions.jpg

Max-Flo II

Also, when choosing a motor, you want to choose an "Energy Efficient" model, such as the E-Plus Centurion Two-Speed Motors from A.O Smith. You can tell an energy efficient model by the "Run" capacitor mounted on top of the motor. The motor in the top picture has a Run Capacitor and the motor in the bottom picture does not. Older energy efficient motor models only had the run capacitor in the high speed mode, the newer models include a capacitor in the low speed mode as well for extra savings.

If your electric rates are very high, then it would be worthwhile to switch to a two-speed model. Running longer at lower speeds costs less than running less time at higher speed.

Molarband, your pool is gorgeous!

James, thanks for finding that pdf. I searched all day for that and could not find it. I definitely looks like the TriStar. Blue Haven must brand is differently.

Here are my pics. From the looks of it...I do not have a 2 speed.

100_5926.jpg

100_5927.jpg

100_5938.jpg

Hope these pics explain it better. Thanks!

wow...1500 watts. Thanks Jason. That explains it. Thanks for your help with that. My only option is lowering the time. I will start with 12 hours/day and go from there.

crek31, that Infinity edge pool pic isn't mine...it's molarband's. It is one beautiful pool!

Thanks again to everyone for their help. :wave: I learned a lot about pool pumps today. My only regret is not learning that 2 months ago...ha! ...or before they installed my 1 speed pump!

Mom-to-3-kids said:
wow...1500 watts.
crek31, that Infinity edge pool pic isn't mine...it's molarband's. It is one beautiful pool!

Oops, got so busy admiring the beauty of that pool that I didn't read the words. That has to be one of the prettiest pools I've seen, molarband.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.