How hard is it to swap a pool light?

Mar 30, 2011
Tempe/AZ
As the subject says. Im wondering how difficult it is to swap the pool light. I got a hayward led light to put in place of my current light. Can i swap the light without draining the pool? Is it a simple swap or is there a lot involved?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

I just changed my first light a couple of months ago - no big deal.

There are more knowledgeable folks on here than me, but the process is basically:
1) turn off breakers so no power is running to the lights
2) unscrew the screw on the light faceplate which holds the assembly to the wall of the pool
3) there should be enough cord coiled up behind the fixture so that you can pull it up and set it on the deck to work on it
4) take a good look at the light, especially the clamp and the bolt/nut that tightens it - remember the positioning for when you put it back together
5) take the clamp off
6) replace the light
7) reassemble - some folks say replace the gasket every time you change the light; I didn't this time
8) put it back in the pool and put in the hold screw
9) turn the breaker back on

I think that's it, but someone will chime in if i forgot anything.

I've got a spin on how I did mine.

I had a Pentair SAM light that was bad. I replaced it with an Intellibrite.

I cut the light off at the pool, right at the back of the light.

I had a square of Plywood I used as a work surface near the pool. I took a pair of vise grips and clamped the old cable to the plywood to hold it there.

I then stripped back the insulation about 2' on the old cable and on the new cable. Put Flux on the ends, spread the copper fibers on the old and new cables, and soldered them together with one of those Propane mini torches you get at Home Depot. You need to make pretty good solder connections because you will be pulling pretty good on them. Make the soldered wires close together again and tape with Good Fresh electrical tape a good taped joint that tapers the tape in about 3-4 inches on each side of the solder joint. You want it to slide well and not snag on anything.

I then had my wife in the pool to feed the cable thru and tell me when to stop. I got on the other end and used a pair of Vise grips to grab the cable and pull. Mine was a pretty stiff hard pull.

There's enough info here to be able to do the rest ofthe stuff here. Take pix of the connections beforehand with a Camera, if you are as absent minded as I am!

If you have any further questions, you can PM me a phone number, I'd be happy to answer questions.

My cable was a 50' pull.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.