Planning deck..any lessons learned to share

timdog

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 18, 2011
Hey all,
Have a 30' pool and am planning a half wrap around 3' wide with a ___x___ deck for a table and lounge chairs. Anyway, I'm looking for lessons learned that you may have done different had you known what you know now...or even the, "I'm glad I did it that way" ideas.

Some first thought ?'s"
- should I go over the rail or under? Thinking under in case I ever need to remove a top rail or replace liner.
- Wood or composite? I like composite, but is it too hot poolside...

Thanks,
Tim

I'm biased, but I would go flush with the top rail. I used Trex Accents in Saddle. The heat in year 1 was bearable, but much better now (yr3) as the color will fade a bit. Composite is not maintenace free and will need to be bleached/scrubed at least annually.

A 30 ft round is rather large to wrap. Ours is a 24ft and the best I could do is 1/4 wrap and focused on having a large area fro the kids and friends to chill. Below is a pic of my drawing and the deck when it was completed, for reference. Certanly not a stunner, but it serves our purpose

deckplan.jpg

IMG_1350.jpg

IMG_1346.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_1353.jpg

IMG_1351.jpg

I second the flush to the top rail. If you go under and the deck settles or the wood shrinks, there is gap for toes to get caught in. (been there - done that). This deck was already connected to the house, then the pool was installed. This left me with no choice but to add steps. The top one is flush with the top rail. It is wood due to the $ of composite.

Attachments

• pool7.jpg
    pool7.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 953
We just finished our deck...We went just under the top rail so that we could easily put the cover on. I don't have little ones and haven't had a problem with toes, yet...hope I never do. I like having a lot of deck to pool space so that several people can pull up a chair poolside. When I am in the pool and guest don't wish to swim they are still able to sit at the edge and chat. Our's is wood as $'s are scarce . I wish we could have gone bigger but again we can add on later. Love the steps that come down right near the pump so that it is quick and easy for maintenance. The one pic of the entire deck is covered with leaves as it was just after a storm. Also this deck joins our upper deck by going up 4 steps. Our yard is on the top of a ridge and it slopes down in front back and sides. Many people said I couldn't do a pool but as you can see...we did. I know you will enjoy the deck, makes your pool so much more useable![attachment=2:2dm3j2pl]P1010105.JPG[/attachment:2dm3j2pl][attachment=1:2dm3j2pl]P1010107.JPG[/attachment:2dm3j2pl][attachment=0:2dm3j2pl]P1010078.JPG[/attachment:2dm3j2pl]

Attachments

• P1010105.JPG
    P1010105.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 1,024
  • P1010107.JPG
    P1010107.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 988
  • P1010078.JPG
    P1010078.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 968
- Composite is expensive but wood products will require significant more maintenance if you hope to achieve the maximum lifespan, and wood deck maintenance is a pain, if you can afford composite I'd say go with that
- if your area gets hard winters remember that when you locate the deck boards along the edge of the pool, you'll need a bit of room in case the frost moves things around a bit
- confirm the height of your deck the best you can ahead of time and see if you can get it to match the same height as good stock stair stringers, cutting stringers isn't extremely difficult but I think it's a pain in the you know what, if good solid prefab stringers will work I'd go with those anytime but they have to match your top board height
- make sure you plan out where the pump and filter will go and make sure your deck doesn't bloc access to them
- personally I wouldn't go over the rail, mine is flush and I like that, I also like the under the rail look as well. Over the rail is good as it won't allow people to inadvertently stand on the rail, if you go over the rail make sure you plan for someway of reasonably getting at the rails should you need to
- go as large as you can, all the goodies that go along with a pool eat up deck space quickly

Planning is #1, good planning where you've gone over things several times will pay off big time when you go to build.
Also, if municipal bylaws are in play make sure your fully versed in those, local building dept's should help you.

Good luck - show some pics when your done!!

PS: Here's a link to my construction pics, hopefully it provides something useful for you.
one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html

Good Stuff! Looks like yall are either contractors or have been DIY'ing for a long time! This is my first house and I've remodeled my kitchen and done all kinds of work but never built a deck! I think with some planning and not rushing it, i can make something decent.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My advice is: It takes longer and more money than planned!! I have a 30ft round and we decided to put a 3 foot splash deck completely around ours. We started at the end of last summer and we still haven't finished it. We made it level with the rails with a small gap for the winter cover to fit through. It is very amature work! Once we get this finished, we plan to add more deck space to connect to the existing deck and pavilion.
medium.jpg

outer edges need cut to even it up.

medium.jpg

We removed the center rails on pavilion facing the pool and will add deck between the pool and pavilion with steps to the splash deck.
medium.jpg

This grass area will be all deck and where we will place the steps. Haven't figured out what to use for railing and sides.

Make sure you plan for liner change, that was one of the key factors in my deck planning, if and when the liner has to be replaced how you have deck around the edge pool matters - the guys that helped me put my pool up say the biggest mistake some people make is not allowing for liner replacement.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments and pics. You are all doing some very nice work.
How do those of you with the deck going over the top get a cover on in the winter?
I guess by going under the top rail and enforcing a no jump policy could be effective...and toes left will be fed to the chickens.

My deck builder convinced me to go over the top rail. It has been a month so far and I have no regrets (I imagine that if I ever have to replace the liner, I will have to remove the first few boards of the decking, but that would be easy enough to do.) I have composite under foot, it does get hot, but I splash a little water on it and that cools it off nicely... I just love the thought of NO splinters. To keep my costs down, I did go with traditional wood handrails and balusters which I plan to stain after some time.

I have tried to attach pics but I get this message... The image file you tried to attach is invalid.

Not the best pictures, but I think you can get the idea. One little area of the trim had pulled away from the front, but has since been fixed.

[attachment=0:37bga3yd]deck3.jpg[/attachment:37bga3yd]
[attachment=1:37bga3yd]deck.jpg[/attachment:37bga3yd]

Attachments

• deck.jpg
    deck.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 798
  • deck3.jpg
    deck3.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 792
I'm actually glad that I gave in to the contractor. I have to admit it has been nice sitting on the edge without the rail under my legs and it has been easy for the dog to jump in from the edge, although I don't imagine the rail would have bothered him much. It is a very strong edge and there is no weight on the top rail at all. I haven't quite figured out how I will handle the winter cover but I am sure it won't be a big deal.

I have walk in steps that should be mounted to the deck, however, I don't think that I am going to mount them at all. They are easily moved to allow for vacuuming, changing out the water underneath them... and the best part... we can move them to the center of the pool to be home base for the dog when we are playing with him (it prevents him from taking the toys out of the pool that we would then have to retrieve. :))

I'm wondering how the contractor was able to give that last board enough support for someone to be able to stand on... would it be too much to ask if you to get a picture of that area from below? I'm not keen on the idea of my kids (and other bigger kids) constantly jumping off the rail in the same spot time after time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.