Moles...

mole, voles, gophers... doesnt matter. KILL 'EM! you can spend hundreds hiring someone or, you can do what i have always done every time one of these lawn destroying pests invades my territory.

you need three things:

1. water hose.

2. old rag or small towel

3. your car. ;)

this works! ive done it several times and it kills 'em deader than a doornail as no living breathing thing can survive a heavy dose of carbon monoxide.

Step 1: go to the freshest hole. very carefully move the dirt with your hands until you find the hole (usually about 2 inches or so wide). dont worry about them biting you, you will never see them, when you start messing with the hole, they will retreat further into their tunnel system, if they are even near that particular hole at all.

Step 2: after you have cleared the hole out, very carefully run your garden hose as far into the hole as possible. cover the hole with dirt around the hose pretty good to seal it.

Step 3: stick the other end of the hose about 8-10 inches into your cars tailpipe and shove the rag / towel in there to hold the hose in. (if you have a vehicle with a large engine such as a truck, and the exhaust blows the rag and hose out, tape it with some duct tape to the tail pipe.)

Step 4: start your car and let that baby idle for about 30 minutes. dont rev it as you will only blow out the hose. plus, the exhaust at idle contains a far higher and more lethal concentration of that "mole-vole-gopher killing carbon monoxide" ;)

Step 5: soon as you start your car, go around and bury all the rest of the holes so the fumes cant get out.

Step 6: sit back and drink a beer or an ice tea while your mole / vole / gopher problem dies a slow, but humane death as the carbon monoxide puts em to sleep.... permenantly! :cheers:

i live in the country, and this is how us Okies deal with vermin like this. also, i may be new to pools, but ive been an automechanic all my life, this WILL NOT hurt your car in any way, shape, or form.

EDIT: also, if you have a vehicle that is older or otherwise for what ever reason... :roll: doesnt have a catalytic converter on it.... use THAT car as the level of carbon monoxide will be 10 fold stronger. :lol:

porkandbeans said:
I have gophers that test my patience. The Juicy Fruit method is the easiest to do but could take a while. They might not take it if suspicious or they could take it and store it for later. I hate the **** and dread the day they mess around the pool. I have had no luck yet with repellents, gas, or traps. I hesitate to use poison because of my dogs. Might try the fox urine pellets next.

After a few weeks, I thought I'd give an update. Previously my thought was to try everything except for traps because I wasn't too excited about digging up larger holes and chasing down changing tunnels.
Well, now after trying everything else, I'm happy to say that the traps have been working rather nicely. Technique matters, so study up and play hard. As long as one of these whores didn't procreate like crazy, I hope my gophers are totally gone soon. (I've killed 4 of these crawling terds.)
I didn't believe before, but trapping and killing is the only way to go and truly solve the problem.
Dutch bags!

kyser said:
I once heard a lady get royal ticked off on a gardening radio show. She called in to complain about moles and the gardening guy told her stop feeding them. She went from annoyed to down right belligerent immediately, insisting that she " has never fed the moles!" This lady had no sense of humor. The gardening guy had to drop the call before he could explain that she was indeed, albeit inadvertently, feeding the moles by not ridding her yard of grubs. It made for great radio!
I did have a neighbor that fed the moles in her yard. She would take half a sticky of Juicy Fruit chewing gum(she swore by Juicy Fruit) and stuck it in the trails. Happy mole comes along gets a sweet treat, but between the sand and the chewing gum it does not end well(for the mole that is!).

I have heard of the "juicy fruit" trick also. Can't confirm effectiveness. But I can tell you that the last couple of years I have been aggressive with grub control and this past spring ...NO mole hills. A bonus is the limited vole activity because they don't have a freeway (old mole run) anymore for protection. Grant it, I didn't have an extensive problem...I think one solitary mole. but this course of action (grub control) worked for me.

gtnos said:
mole, voles, gophers... doesnt matter. KILL 'EM! you can spend hundreds hiring someone or, you can do what i have always done every time one of these lawn destroying pests invades my territory.

you need three things:

1. water hose.

2. old rag or small towel

3. your car. ;)

this works! ive done it several times and it kills 'em deader than a doornail as no living breathing thing can survive a heavy dose of carbon monoxide.

Step 1: go to the freshest hole. very carefully move the dirt with your hands until you find the hole (usually about 2 inches or so wide). dont worry about them biting you, you will never see them, when you start messing with the hole, they will retreat further into their tunnel system, if they are even near that particular hole at all.

Step 2: after you have cleared the hole out, very carefully run your garden hose as far into the hole as possible. cover the hole with dirt around the hose pretty good to seal it.

Step 3: stick the other end of the hose about 8-10 inches into your cars tailpipe and shove the rag / towel in there to hold the hose in. (if you have a vehicle with a large engine such as a truck, and the exhaust blows the rag and hose out, tape it with some duct tape to the tail pipe.)

Step 4: start your car and let that baby idle for about 30 minutes. dont rev it as you will only blow out the hose. plus, the exhaust at idle contains a far higher and more lethal concentration of that "mole-vole-gopher killing carbon monoxide" ;)

Step 5: soon as you start your car, go around and bury all the rest of the holes so the fumes cant get out.

Step 6: sit back and drink a beer or an ice tea while your mole / vole / gopher problem dies a slow, but humane death as the carbon monoxide puts em to sleep.... permenantly! :cheers:

i live in the country, and this is how us Okies deal with vermin like this. also, i may be new to pools, but ive been an automechanic all my life, this WILL NOT hurt your car in any way, shape, or form.

EDIT: also, if you have a vehicle that is older or otherwise for what ever reason... :roll: doesnt have a catalytic converter on it.... use THAT car as the level of carbon monoxide will be 10 fold stronger. :lol:

And i also like the way this guy's thinking!!! :twisted:

I'll have to try the gas trick!! We have neighbors to our left that have fruit trees. The fruit falls to the ground, and no one there maintains the property. You can see at least 50 mole/gopher/field mice holes all over the yard, and they have a steady supply of ground fruit. It seems like no matter how many we trap (up to 8 this season), or how many poison pellets we put in the tunnels, unless our neighbor decides to kill them on his side of the fence we are stuck.

They have created some rather nasty dents under our pool liner too :x

There was one ray of sunshine: as my husband and I were standing int he front yard this week, disparaging at a new gopher hole, we saw the f***** poke his head out and start to push more dirt out of his tunnel. Frustrated, my husband put the garden hose in there and turned on the water. He's done this before, and nothing has ever worked. This time, the gopher must have been trapped because after about thirty seconds he gasps out of his tunnel and started running across the yard. My husband quickly grabbed his shovel and, er, well....ended that particular gopher battle.

There was celebratory beer drinking that afternoon :cheers:

Until two summers ago, I had a gopher problem in my yard that was unreal. I tried everything, and I mean everything. I have completely eliminated them now, and I know the only way to really do it aside from blowing them up is to trap them. I considered that thing in the video too...nearly bought one I was so frustrated. I did the water hose thing, Truck and Motorcycle exhaust, poison, you name it, I tried it. I was desperate and called someone out to trap and he was really half *** on it. I started researching and found out the near misses he was making were the worst thing you can do, because once a gopher is trap shy...it's near impossible. So, still desperate I was looking for something and found a company called Trap Line Products. Well, It took me about six months for complete elimination, but I have not seen a gopher in three summers now. If you seriously want them, Moles, or Voles out of your yard, I cannot urge you strongly enough to try their products.

http://www.traplineproducts.com/

Their traps are better than any others I have seen, they are super easy to use, and made from Stainless Steel. They are also very reasonably priced, and the owner of the company invented them. He traps for Golf courses and such in CA for a living using these traps. It seems he is quite successful with it too. My buddy in San Antonio got a pair last year for Gophers and soon ordered four more. He's about done with his property now and I think at last count he is around 28 total. They also have good vids on you tube for using all their traps and that's how I learned to set them. If you try them, they will make a believer out of you, and you'll be recommending them like I am. I know how desperate it makes you feel when your yard is being destroyed, but I just grin when I think about them being gone from mine now.

whoever said STOP FEEDING THEM is correct...and they will go away! Or you can do two things..stop feeding AND poison them at the same time. I have dealt with Moles for years at my house, my parents house, etc. I can't remember who I got the info from, but you MUST first apply either a granule or liquid "grub"/ "bug" killer to your lawn (especially around the pool area.) once you kill the grubs...moles WILL have nothing to eat, as Grubs compromise 99% of their diet. NEXT, you go to your local DIY store and purchase some rubber poison grubs. They mimic the size, shape and feel of the real thing. You place 1 or 2 in each active run...and in days your mole will be gone, as it'll eat this poison grub and die. They work and are very affective. Forget all those traps you can buy, they are all a waste of time and money.

If you follow the two above steps, I guarantee your mole problem will vanish.

Good luck

the gas trick works. if you do it and more mounds appear the next day, you didnt get them all, maybe a tunnel collapsed or something causing gas to not get the whole tunnel system. repeat it every day until no more holes pop up. maybe even let car idle longer and gas more than one hole. (i can fit 3 garden hoses in my f150's exhaust pipe) ;)

if your car is a newer small car, u might borrow and older bigger engine one. my dads 1977 chevy monte carlo with no converters on it is a mole killing SOB! :lol:

a diesel truck is the absolute best, but diesel engines have high compression so you will definately have to tape your hose on tailpipe to keep it from blowing out. like any other solution, it may take several "doses" to completely rid your problem.

it took me four days of gasing the first time, as our front yard was badly infested. i literally made gassing the holes part of my morning routine. i think morning is best, you have best chance of catching them in their new tunnels, as the vermin are more active through the night, which is why you wake up to more mounds in the morning. i would start a pot of coffee, and while it was brewing, id be outside running garden hose. :party: now i stay on top of it. the first hole i see gets immediately gased without hesitation and i have yet to have it reappear the next day. havent had a mole come in my yard in almost 2 years now....

good luck and happy mole / vole / gopher killing! :D

ps- you can also call in an old pro to solve your problem.... :lol:

[attachment=0:jfu25prv]caddyshack_bill_murray_americas_best.jpg[/attachment:jfu25prv]

Attachments

• caddyshack_bill_murray_americas_best.jpg
    caddyshack_bill_murray_americas_best.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 41

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good luck if you try gas/exhaust on Gophers. I did it for years off an on with very little result. What I am certain of is that you get a body with trapping, and it leaves no doubt. It will work, and it will work well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.