White flag still up, more questions....

graffster

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 19, 2008
Didn't know if I should post a new question or add on to my previous post. So I'm starting new.

As my previous thread discussed, I am needing to get my pH down and my CYA up before shocking. I bought stabilizer yesterday and I'm ready to go. Two things holding me back:
One, when I brushed my pool yesterday, there is a layer of 'silt'...brown and yucky. I know that I need to not clean the filter after I've added stabilizer, so do I need to get this silt (or whatever it is!) out of the pool before I add stabilizer? I cleaned the filter yesterday, but I can almost guarantee that it needs it again today. (it was pretty gross.)

Two, we've got TS Irene on her way to SW FLorida which probably means lots of rain and lots debris (we're uncaged.) Seems almost pointless to start now? Or do I get the CYA up and shock, shock, shock in preparation for her?????

Still whining.....

Kathy

Tie the CYA in a sock in front of a running return and squish it once in a while to help it dissolve. Doing it that way, you can clean your filter and not lose much CYA at all.

After it's been in there 24 hours, raise your shock level to match the amount of CYA you planned for.

Since your stabilizer will be in the sock, not the skimmer or filter, you can clean the filter as needed. That is why we prefer that way.

Clean that yuck out of the pool, it eats up chlorine.

Then for the storm, lower the water level a bit if you can, or be prepared to get excess water out of the pool if you must. For me that means hooking a hose to the spigot at the filter pump and running the hose down to the driveway so that I can just open that up with the filter running to draw off some water if I must. (Actually I now have a working overflow line but I used to drain this way). Run the FC up to shock level. Lower the pH since it will rise with all the heavy rain. Be prepared with the pool leaf rake to scoop debris out of the pool, and a Wall Whale to stir the water if the power is out, and a lot of bleach. Get busy, and know that these things can miss you totally, so you do want to keep at this to the extent that you have time while making other preparations.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.