Couldn't do it...

frogabog

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2010
Portland, Oregon
We are having a yard sale this weekend. I have all the stupid pool chems that have been sitting in the garage for two years now unused out in the sale, plus my dad's massive bucket of 3" trichlor tablets.

A man came by this morning and was looking at them. I asked if he'd been having problems, and he says he just refilled yesterday. I ask... was it green?

Sigh...

I couldn't sell him the chemicals. I took him to my back yard and showed him my pool. I then gave him the TFP and Pool Calculator url's. My TFP ID, email, and phone number.

Sent him home with two 3" tablets for the skimmer (about 12ppm CYA, he needs some right away obviously) and instructions to put 7 cups of bleach into the pool today.

H is gonna kill me when he finds out, lol. Poor guy with kids wanting to swim and his pool has been trouble for 2 months now. How could I possibly sell the chems to him?? That would be pure evil right?

I am fairly positive I would not feel good about it right now if I'd done any differently.

Took a pic of the chems and will sell them on craigslist to someone who hopefully won't bother to tell me about their pool... AT ALL! A mute buyer would work nicely.

Wait, you get a lot of rain there in Oregon don't you? That dilutes your CYA. And you do go on vacation once in awhile don't you? Are you certain that you won't have an occasion to use those trichlor tablets? They keep really well....

Good on you Frog! Boy did he get a lesson...and more than he ever bargained for. Hope you made a new friend and BBB convert. Maybe he'll get his kids into some ice water before it freezes over up there. Far as I'm concerned your swimming weather is OVER....or did it actually ever exist? :scratch:

Good luck on the chems! :goodjob:

frogabog said:
I am fairly positive I would not feel good about it right now if I'd done any differently.

Took a pic of the chems and will sell them on craigslist to someone who hopefully won't bother to tell me about their pool... AT ALL! A mute buyer would work nicely.

That's what I did using a little white lie Re: unopened bucket of Tri-chlor 3" tabs ..."Uhhhh, my father-in-law's above ground pool collapsed this past winter and he wanted me to sell these off for him." Buyer checked the lock seal, paid, and went on his way. Be sure to meet the buyer in a neutral PUBLIC place.
As for the little white lie, well it is "white" because his pool did collapse ... two winters ago. As for your conscience, I have two coworkers who would have gladly bought these off of me because they don't believe in the BBB Method, one even mocked me. So there are ignorant people in the world just itching to buy these off ya.

anonapersona said:
Wait, you get a lot of rain there in Oregon don't you? That dilutes your CYA. And you do go on vacation once in awhile don't you? Are you certain that you won't have an occasion to use those trichlor tablets? They keep really well....

I still have some 1" tablets but you're right, I might snag a few from the bucket for such purposes.

It rained all fall/winter/spring before refilling 2' and opening, I lost maybe 10ppm CYA. I had figured a much higher loss than that.

Brushpup said:
Good on you Frog! Boy did he get a lesson...and more than he ever bargained for. Hope you made a new friend and BBB convert. Maybe he'll get his kids into some ice water before it freezes over up there. Far as I'm concerned your swimming weather is OVER....or did it actually ever exist? :scratch:

Good luck on the chems! :goodjob:

LOL... we'll get maybe 2 weeks of real freezing temps where the top of the water might freeze. The rest of the winter it doesn't get below freezing long enough to make ice on much but the puddles. A lot of 35-40 degree days here with the occasional week of 20's. It's a rare day that it's below freezing AND we have precip. That would mean snow... hardly ever happens. If it gets cold enough for snow, it's usually totally dry and the sky is clear. The clouds and rain holds the heat in the valley here between the coast range and the Cascades. East part of the state however, is all high desert and often snowy.

BUT... We just got our first 90 degree day last Saturday. And the forecast says that for at least the next week it's 82-88. Summer has arrived... We're melting!

Edit: It was actually 96 on Saturday. Broke a record even :~}

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Huuh??? 96? I guess your water must have got up to what...78? :mrgreen:

I would so love your kids to get in our pool at 88-90° I bet they would think they were being cooked for stew. Told my DW about your lil ones in the chilly water...She said yup, they are immune and can only think SWIM.

Brushpup said:
Huuh??? 96? I guess your water must have got up to what...78? :mrgreen:

You nailed it! The kids tried to convince me that 78 was as good as 80 and I almost caved and got in.

I would so love your kids to get in our pool at 88-90° I bet they would think they were being cooked for stew. Told my DW about your lil ones in the chilly water...She said yup, they are immune and can only think SWIM.

They DID say it was too hot. They aren't immune... they're WARPED! lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.