18x33 pool few questions

Durf

Jul 6, 2011
OK I have a18x33 above ground pool with a full wood deck around the entire pool, even the top rails.

Couple questions
1. What is the best pool cover. I tried an inground liner with bags last year and it did not work well. Are others using a above ground cover? I wonder if I can pull the cover through between the pool and deck? The deck rest pretty much right on top in spots.

2. I have tons of divots, etc on the bottom and will probably redo the floor next year. Any tips from keeping the ground from washing out under the liner? MY problem is not a leak and I also do not think it is animal related because the wash out seems to be coming from the outer portion of the pool floor, the center portion seems to be ok. I believe to to be a rain issue but do not know for sure.

I really want a hard surface module cover as a pol cover but have not figured out how to do that yet. Obviously that is the holy grail of pool cover technology.

Also..You have to use your head on thing's like this..I have found if you fasten some hook's your just put some nail's in the deck&run the cable through them &then tighten it up it work's for me...I also have run the cable down through the deck board's....Me I would just take a above ground cover &just lay across the pool&like aside get you some hook's your something to fasten to deck of pool..

poolpic1.jpg

poolpic2.jpg

poolpic3.jpg

poolpic4.jpg

poolpic5.jpg

4 ft is the shortest deck space.

At some spots the deck rests directly on rail, some has a gap. As you can see we added a spacer between the deck and pool rails, and screwed the deck to it. We had never done this type thing before and were not sure how to do it. I'm sure there were better ways but this has actually worked very well.

BTW has anyone ever used anything like a cement board sub floor on top of sand for a pool bottom? I really want to fix my washout problem n the pool bottom next spring.

Yes, the cover deal should work well..Too get started with it without falling in water..Just take a couple nail's &put in the cover hole's on one side&nail down into floor to hold it..Don't nail all the way so you can get out..Nail at a slight angle back so cover will not slide out of hole's..use 16 penny or bigger..Bottom of floor is ?..Why is it washing out??Other's will be on..

kplaster said:
Yes, the cover deal should work well..Too get started with it without falling in water..Just take a couple nail's &put in the cover hole's on one side&nail down into floor to hold it..Don't nail all the way so you can get out..Nail at a slight angle back so cover will not slide out of hole's..use 16 penny or bigger..Bottom of floor is ?..Why is it washing out??Other's will be on..

So are you suggesting a in ground pool cover or a above ground cover? You mentioned cover holes so I assume you are talking about using a 18x36 in ground cover? Or can I use a 18x33 above ground pool cover the same way? I think that using an in ground pool will work they way you are talking but I would like to entertain the idea of using a 18x33 above ground cover and slide it in between the deck and pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.