Need pump HP recommendation

cd

Oct 9, 2008
Bedford, TX
Been looking a bit and really confused now. I have a 12x24x52" oval pool with a cl-900 filter. the waterway 1HP 2 SP pump I have is going out anf making a lot of noise. (only 2yrs old and dead) Looking for a HP recommendation. I wanted to get a lower HP but not sure on 3/4 or 1/2. about 8500 gal pool.

Also, looking at a hayward power flow 1/2hp SF1 and a 3/4hp SF1? Would one of these work better?

Thanks.

Well if it helps any, I have a 1/2 HP for 20k pool but it is a IG pump. For a 8500 gallon pool, any pump will provide a turnover of less than 8 hours. However, what ever pump you choose, I would get a two speed and I don't think the PowerFlo series comes in a two speed.

Why not just replace the motor of your current pump? If you run on low speed most of the time, it won't really matter much the HP of the pump.

mas985 said:
Well if it helps any, I have a 1/2 HP for 20k pool but it is a IG pump. For a 8500 gallon pool, any pump will provide a turnover of less than 8 hours. However, what ever pump you choose, I would get a two speed and I don't think the PowerFlo series comes in a two speed.

Why not just replace the motor of your current pump? If you run on low speed most of the time, it won't really matter much the HP of the pump.

I thought about replacing it, but have had so many issues with it, I would hate to invest anymore in this brand.

You need to know the recommended flow rate for your filter and choose a pump that can supply that amount with enough head pressure to get the water though the filter and back to the pool. One way of determining the minimum size pump is to call the filter manufacturer and ask them. They may want to know your pipe sizes and distance to and from the pump to pool, but you can estimate the distances by stepping it off and measure your lines or look on the fittings - the size may be marked.

It isn't necessary to go through all that trouble. With only a 8500 gallon pool, your need less than 20 GPM for an 8 hour turnover. So the smallest pumps on the market will produce much more than that on typical AG plumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.