Auggh. Motor died. Learned alot. Downsized motor.

bobodaclown

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2011
Murrieta, CA
Hello all.
Here's my tale of woe.
I thought I had a 1hp Dura-Glas II because that's what the lid had printed on it. Come to find out I've got a Sta-rite Dura-Glas PE or P2R series due to the Impeller and Diffuser (C105-92PS and C1-216P). Those are for the 1/2 HP and 3/4 HP uprated. It had a 1HP motor when I bought the house.

Well yesterday I went out to check the pool and noticed the pump wasn't running. Check the breaker it was popped. Shut off the pump timer, reset the breaker, walk back and turn on the timer, motor hums. No problem I figured maybe something got passed the leaf strainer. Shut power off, take off the back cover and check if I can turn the pump by hand. It does so nothing jamming it. OK. Start capacitor, call pool store, got it in stock, send the wife to pick it up. Swap it out. Five minutes. I'll be back in business.

Installed the cap, turn it on. HUMMMM. Crud. Called pool store back. Some motors have 2 windings one for start one for run. For the heck of it I used a string to spin it. It ran. Cool, but doesn't help in the long run.

Time for a new pump... So I thought. Went to the store they had fair pricing. Talked to one of the service guys. He said I could get a new pump but I've got a good one. It may be old, but they are good. It would be quicker and cheaper to change out just the motor. The pump is in good shape and I wouldn't have to do any plumbing work. He made sense to me. Didn't try to up sell me a new pump.

Took in the back portion of the pump. Motor, base and seal plate. He inspected the seal plate and saw cracking where the pump mounts. Recommended a new seal plate kit. Comes with seals, and such. It was cheaper than buying the pieces individually.

Was going to replace the 1HP with a 1HP but then I noticed the Impeller was for the 1/2 and 3/4 HP so I downsized to the 3/4 HP. He had the AO Smith B2852 115V 10.8A in stock which is less than I was running.

Was thinking of going with a 2-Speed motor, but then I would have had to change out the impeller and diffuser which would have cost more. There are no 2 speed pumps with my impeller/diffuser combination.

My run time is about 8 hours. I looked at the pump curve for the PE5CL which I believe uses the same impeller and ran some numbers. I've got a 17 K pool and I think my head is around 50 ft so I'm getting approx 50 GPM and approx a 5-1/2 hours for 1 turn over. Water looks good.

It cost me a total of $310 for the motor and backing plate. They mounted it and lubed the o-rings. It was 30 minutes turn around. I realize I could have gotten them cheaper on-line and had them sent to me. (Motor $150, Seal plate kit $100 total of $250) The additional $60 worth my labor and not having to buy bleach and being done with it was worth it.

I'm happy with the pool store overall. Good people.

Was thinking of going with a 2-Speed motor, but then I would have had to change out the impeller and diffuser which would have cost more. There are no 2 speed pumps with my impeller/diffuser combination.

Although they may not sell a 2-speed pump with your impeller/diffusor, you can usually find a 2-speed motor that will work with them anyway. The only important factors are the THP and the frame.

Hi Mark,
Thanks for chiming in. I'm always interested in your comment and suggestions.
I found the performance curve for the PE5CL and I don't think the impeller/diffuser combo (C105-92PS/C1-216P) would be a good candidate for a two speed. Looks like the standard combo is C105-138PEBA/C1-200PA or the C105-138PEB.

Pool curves are listed here: http://www.poolplaza.com/MaxEGlas-techspecs.shtml

Thanks for any advice.
Bob

I found the performance curve for the PE5CL and I don't think the impeller/diffuser combo (C105-92PS/C1-216P) would be a good candidate for a two speed.
Why?

Any pump can be converted to a two speed. It may not result in the most efficient setup but it is still better than a single speed pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.