Pool Heater Care

Aug 10, 2011
Hey all,

I have a Raypack 140K BTU heater professionally installed. Check valve installed after the heater, with in an inline Chlorinator. PVC piping from the filter to the return pool return line. I have read and re-read the manual but, I am wondering what chemicals should I use and what chemicals I should not use. What should I check for as for as chemicals. It's brand new three months old no problems. I just want to make sure that I keep the corrison levels down. What would you recommend?

Also, I live in Chicago, would you recommend winterzing it and leaving it outside or bringing it back inside for winter? Any and all suggestions will help.

Thanks again all.

I have a Hayward heater on my pool and as far as chemicals in the pool the only things I use are those chemicals associated with the BBB method. All of those get added to the pool directly in front of a return jet so that doesn't really affect my heater. Back in the day when I was getting pool stored, I added some chemicals (shock) directly to the skimmer but I bypassed my heater before doing this so the super chlorinated water did not pass through the heater. I think one of the main things you need to watch with heaters is your PH levels and keeping those in line. As far as winterizing, mine stays out year round but I am careful to get all of the water out of it when I close up shop for the winter. You are in a colder climate than I am and I think in your case I would cover it up for the winter.

There is no test that I am aware of other than the normal testing of your pool water. The main thing with heaters seems to be not to run any corrosive water threw them and to drain water from them over the winter to prevent damage in the event of a freeze. As long as your PH is in line and you are not adding chlorine to your skimmer basket having it run threw the heater you should be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.